• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Portable Recommendations !

PHESNTHNTR

what style are you thinking about. the flip over sled type house or the hub style house.

for flip overs I would look at the following houses.

Clams :

Denali TC (theses come with 2 seats but they do sell a seat conversion that gives you 4 seats(back to back seats))

Adventure : this is similar to the X4 TC but thinner lighter fabric

X4 TC : the largest house clam makes, fishes 4 people

Voyager or the X2 thermal would work if each of you only fish one hole. two of you on the seats on the sled and then put a chair up by the door for the other person.

Hub style houses :

Base camp thermal - 6'X6' 2-3 person full thermal material

Summit - 6'X8' 3-4 person non thermal

Vista - 6'X6' 2-3 person non thermal

Bigfoot XL2000 3-4 person 7.5'X7.5' non thermal (I have this house and will be using it this winter)

Bigfoot XL4000T 3-4 person 8'X8' full thermal (this is the one I recommend. I plan to buy one next season since I bought the Xl2000 this season.)

Switchback 3-4 person but expands to 4-6 person 6'X8' unexpanded & 8'X10" when expanded.

What you get will depend on how much you want to spend and how you plan to use it.

I bought the BigFoot 4000 thermal from Clam this year for very much the same purpose. I set it up on the ice for the first time on my day off yesterday. I didn't catch anything but had a peaceful, good time, listening to my audiobook and setting and checking my tip-up and fishing down the hole in the shelter. For one guy, the thing is a palace inside and it will be plenty of room for a 5 and 8 year old and my wife when she wants to come along.

I found set up and takedown very easy, about a minute or two max. And it slips into the carry along bag very easy. The shelter itself kept me very warm. I know it wasnt freezing yesterday, but using a portable buddy heater, I had to turn it off at times and was just down to my jeans and a long sleeve t-shirt in there. I did move it a hundred to two hundred feet or so every two hours or so. Doing this was easy. I pulled up the ice anchors (only used two) and put my hands on the roof from the inside and walked it to the new spot while still popped up.

Overall, I would highly reccommend this shelter so far. I bought a drill attachment for the ice anchors to move quickly with those on windy days. And for now, I strap it to the top of my medium sized sled. But I would also reccomment looking into a good sled that will fit the shelter along with the rest of your gear. That's what I'm doing when another good deal on a sled comes along. Good luck.

If you plan on fishing 3 adults on a regular basis, I would consider that Bigfoot 4000T that was mentioned already.

Plenty of room, easy to set up, and weighs much less than a 3 man flip over will. You will appreciate this if you decide to fish solo every now and then.

I run an Eskimo Qwuick Flip III, plenty of room for 3 adults... Have had mine 6 years or so and still going strong, is a bit heavy and a bear to drag in deeper snow but most times not bad when I'm alone...Ifand when this one dies my next will either be a Frabill Predator or 3 man Otter