• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Replacement Windows Question

Gissert

Wife and I have decided to pull the trigger and update most of the windows on our house. Year of construction was 1974, and the exterior walls are all 2 x 4 studs.

The house currently has Anderson casements and have been installed since the house was built.

I did a little poking around online and read horror story after horror story about the Pella replacement plan, and Renewal by Anderson as well.

Any tips on what/who to work through? Things to look out for?

I am located in Ottertail county.

My dad's company installs Prism by Simonton, and they seem like awesome windows. I know they have been using them for years, and every one seems happy with the results. The product has changed a bit over the years, but the windows come highly recommended by anyone who has had them put in by my old man's company.

He sells them through Lamperts. It should cost right around $100 per window per install for labor.

We have had Anderson Renewals for several years now. They seem fine. What kind of problems are you concerned about? Competence of installers might make a difference.

Anderson windows have gone way downhill IMO. I would not recommend them to anyone, no matter who installs them

Marvin makes a great window, I have also delt a lot with Hayfields for a cheaper option.

Agreed- Never had problems with marvin. Use them on every spec home we build. Also, If there is ever something wrong marvin is good about sending a rep out to correct it.

Not a brand note but a more practical note. When we were going to do our 1965 house I found out that the code requires that you update the window sizes if you replace the entire thing. That would have been a major headache for us with having to put in egress sized windows in and pretty much having to redo the millwork and a lot of rock work to deal with those changes. Check and see if that would apply to you.

I'll play devil's advocate here, but why are you wanting to replace the windows? Are they in horrible shape or are you just wanting to "improve your energy savings"?

After having multiple estimates done on replacement windows for my house, I came to the conclusion that the payback on new windows was way out there. 50+ years in my case as my house has 32 windows (its a duplex)and I had estimates anywhere from 25K-37K and that was with me doing all the interior trim work.

In the end I went with all new gold series Storms with E glass from Larsen. It only cost about 5K and I'll see my money back in 1/4 the time.

The windows are in poor shape. Most of the crank mechanisms are worn and have always been troublesome to open. Energy savings will be a plus, but is not the primary reason we are doing this.

Good info here so far, thanks so much. So many bad reviews on Anderson and Pella online. Most of them seem to be related to them being difficult to deal with for fit/finish problems.

I know to take bad reviews online with a grain of salt, but the volume with these two is troubling.

GISSERT

Do your research.... remember if there are permits and a local/county code official involved you have to replace windows in bedrooms with like to like if they don't meet egress....which meens casement to casement, double hung to double hung...if you change the opening or change the type of window from existing, you have to meet egress...my suggestion is go with Marvin...but do your homework...you get what you pay for

We are in the same situation as you, replacing windows. I decided to redo the entire home so I am putting in Anderson 400 series, new windows. We also opted to go to 2x6 walls, so I am furring them out, working wall by wall. New siding as well.

So far I am happy with the Anderson windows and the three sliding patio

doors we also got (400 series).

They are expensive, but worth it.

I like Marvins Ease of Operation over andersons, IMO andersons friction fit double hung is a PITA, the tab lock type design Marvin uses is painless, crank outs are fine...

Anderson and Marvin are good windows. Marvins Integrity Ultrex windows a great option, and a little less $$$...

Do not be afraid to check out the vinyl windows as well if money is a factor... there are vinyl windows out there that are pretty good for the price range they are in...

Can anyone tell me whether you have to put egress windows in all the bedrooms if you replace the entire unit? That is what I was told 20 years ago and that killed that idea for me. We replaced the sash on all the windows with a Marvin product. Nearly from the start the upper unit would slide down an inch or so when you opened the window. The springs were too weak. Some were replaced under warranty but still about half of the windows do this. Not a big deal but a bit of a pain.

Ive sold, and still sell a variety of windows, mostly Marvin and Thermo-Tech. If you want a wood-clad window, Marvin is hard to beat. There's a million and a half vinyl companies out there, we've settled on Thermo-Tech out of Sauk Rapids, MN. Quality is good, performance is good, warranty is good, and if there is a problem, its easily and quickly handled. Marvin is on the upper end of the price scale. I sell andersen windows, both their 100 series and 400 series. 400 series are excellent windows. 100 series are a decent window, the only gripe is the options are limited. Renewal by Andersen windows have to be installed by their people, and are very pricy. Good stuff, but very pricy.

As with any window, installation is 100% as important as the window itself. Poor installalation of a $1,000 window is worth as much as covering the opening with saran wrap.

I also sell and install mainly Andersen and Marvin Products. Cannot go wrong with either as long their install correctly. One thing to keep in mind, you have existing Andersen 400 Series Casement. They have not changed those sizes, so you could use stock size windows. No custom sizing upcharge. Also your current windows made it 39 years, that should give you a good direction to go. You would be surprised how many houses we are replacing windows in that are less than 12 years old.

Good Luck!

We got brand new replacement windows last year from Champion Window last year and have no complaints so far. I'd suggest you call them once and ask for an in-home estimate. Whoever you choose to install your windows, you need to make sure the installation is perfect, no leaks anywhere so your rooms don’t get drafty.

Anderson casement windows from the 90's are absolute junk. My father had them in his home and after a few years the cranks all fell apart. He switched to Traco windows which are very high end windows. Another great window is Shuco(sp?).

Marvin Integrity windows are good windows too. My brother is in the process of replacing his windows for the Marvin Integrity windows.

A window my wifes company sells is Eagle windows. They are currently owned by Anderson but are much higher qualily than the renewals and not that much more money. We did a huge window job with the Eagles down in Shakopee last year and the windows were amazing. Got a couple more to do with the Eagles for this Spring.

My home has Menards Crestline windows single hung (ya I know!). They are IMO low grade windows which is a shame because the house is less than 10 years old and there's a total of 50 window assemblies on the home. It will cost a pretty penny when they are swapped out for Eagles.