• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I'm courious if you need to use steel shot on all public land for upland hunting. If possible i would like to use lead but if I have to use steel i will use steel. Was thinking of going to some state land and was wondering wondering if i need steel.

The other thing to watch for is the fact that some WMA's share boundries with WPA's,so if you only planned on hunting the WMA side of the public land and later spy some birds on the WPA side it may be a long walk back to the parking lot knowing you could not chase those birds right away.

Workin'

From what I see most people have just switched totally to steel or some type non-tox shot-its just easier than worrying about which, where and when. The non-tox stuff available today is pretty darned effective. Yes,it IS more expensive. But stop to think how many shells you fire on an average day and it becomes a minimal part of your expenses. Unless you are simply a lousy shot.....and you know how to change that! Ha!

I hunt enough public area, and want to stay legal for waterfowl, that I haven't bought lead shot in a few years now (other than target loads). I find that a #2 high velocity steel is plenty effective on ducks and pheasant.

Just an observation. The object of the move to steel shot is to get lead OUT of the environment totally. Why beat around the bush using lead here but not there, steel on this side of the road but lead on the other. Just give it up and move to steel or the new non-tox stuff. Bite the bullet (intended) and buy a box of non tox. Discover how much BETTER it is than steel AND the old lead. Learn to shoot better and use the non-tox shot. Really think about how many shots you fire in a morning or day of hunting. Maybe, if the shells were a little more, you'd pass up some of those "iffy" 52 and 63 and 71 yard shots.

You CAN do it. Ha Ha Ha!

I agree, I only buy steel or non toxic stuff now days.

It may be more expensive but I dont have to worry about getting caught with lead where it is not legal.

Pretty much only use #2 and #3 for the most part anyway and have a few BB's in reserve incase some gooses come flying by.