• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice thickness around MN

icefishingmn

I'm seeing some pockets of open water, some pockets of bare slush and some of snow, which definitely has slush under it. Bigger lakes might have fared better than smaller ones.

With warmer weather coming on Wednesday, we might melt a few inches off the snow cover. Hopefully the will knock down the insulating ability of the snow and that slush will be allowed to freeze.

I checked some lakes in the Winsted, Waverly area and found that lakes that had 2" of ice or less fared quite well. The snow sank the ice flooded it and refroze into a white ice crust with just water under and no more slush. The lakes are mostly capped with little areas of open water. With cold night time temps some of the lakes should be good to go on Thursday since there is not any snow to insulate.

no, try like 2 if that in main lake, and 6ish in the bays. I also just got the word that a wheeler went through tonight.

I want to go out fishing this weekend but im going south of mille lacs, right around Isle, MN so is ice good enough to go fishing there

Icefishingmn. Without a lake and area of said lake known. Not many people will be able to help. With the the abnormally warm temps and now the foot of snow. Lake to lake ice thickness is going to vary a ton. And ice thickness on each lake will vary a ton. Like said Mille lacs has 6 inches and then open water. And I'm sure theres spots on mille lacs right now where theres 2 inches not far from the 6 inches. You really do need to just drill as you carefully walk and use a spud bar to hit the ice in front of you. Honestly I'm thinking of going fishing somewhere in the Mille lacs area this weekend as well. I will have a buddy behind me 30 feet with a rope incase I go in. I will have safety ice picks around my neck and I will probably have a life jacket or throw cushion in my hand. Along with a spud bar and my auger. Safety is key with these kind of conditions as snow can really make it hard to tell where the ice is bad or much thinner than surrounding spots.

On my commute home, Lake Nokomis had some snow covered ice, though there was a lot of open water. Lake Hiawatha, a smaller lake, also had quite a bit of open water. At least in my neighborhood, I suspect the snow pushed what little ice there was down into the water and melted it, or it was not really there to begin with. Just need a solid streak of cold weather. I doubt I will walk out on any nearby lake this weekend, though definitely by Xmas!