• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Plow/winch question

10,000 Casts

Probably just a weak spot. I've plowed for several years on the same cable with only minor fraying. Except the time when my winch switch froze and stuck in the "in" position and snapped the cable where it was already frayed.

For everything but plowing I use winch "rope", I'm tired of getting poked with frayed cable.

i second the synthetic rope.

with either, make sure you don't loop the cable around things and hook back onto the cable (around a tree and hook the cable, or on the trailer around the tongue and back onto the cable) as those actions really wear on a cable, metal or rope.

i've plowed and winched out of mud quite a bit and haven't ever broken my ropes or cables.

There is a company out there that makes a strap to replace your winch cable in the winter just for plowing its only a few feet long. I to have never broke a cable plowing and have over 10 years on one cable but my guess is you are trying to lift the plow to high listen to your winch when rising and you will learn when to let off the switch