• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Robo Duck- Friend or Foe?

What is everyone's opinion on the latest duck hunting craze?

Here's mine-
A great tool. Have seen birds not even think twice and dump right into the decoys. That is why I am opposed to using one.
I have seen boats which are sitting in the open, hardly camouflaged, faces in the wind, and chaotic decoy spreads bring in birds like they were pros.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for technology and making the outdoor experience better, but this infringes on the principle of fair chase. In the hands of an experienced hunter who sets up well hidden and has a good looking spread, these decoys are DEADLY. You barely need to call to get the birds to dump right into you.
Yes, I might purchase one or two myself, but I am only doing so in order to compete with everyone else who does have them.
The DNR did the right thing by banning the remote-control versions of these, but they also need to ban them completely.
Ok friends of Robo-Duck, fire away at me.
>"////=<

I hate the robo duck, and I will refuse to buy or use one of these things. I don't care if the guys next to me shoot tons of birds, more power to them, but I will only voice my opinion to those in the field who use them.
I go into the field to enjoy the beautiful sunrises/sunsets and could care less if I leave the water without a bird. Just going out and watching ducks work decoys is an adrenaline rush, and its well worth the trip right there. Going home and not cleaning birds is A-OK too in my book!
I like the challenge of fooling the birds with decoys and calls, and with robo duck it is way too easy to fool the birds and very deadly.
Ban all electronic devices!

I talked to a guy who hunts ducks in Arkansas. He said that the first season using the roboducks you could do no wrong. Second season, a bit less effective. If fact by the end of the season they were flaring ducks away unless you put them off to the edge of your setup. As ducks see them their effectiveness will decrease. Seems to be the trend in every duck hunting gadget that comes out. I'm going out with what I've got this season. Not even gonna buy any new decoys.

You all have very valid points! Here's my 2 cents--

CD-- You said it right! I don't just go out to the field to get meat... the real reasons for me will always be for the sights, sounds, and smells of the marsh!! But yes, I too enjoy harvesting birds for my efforts. Due to years of passionately pursuing fowl, I've become fairly proficient at the needed techniques that go along with gunning birds. The big question that I ask myself is: Where do we draw the line? Did hunters ask themselves the same question when paper-mache decoys gave way to plastic dekes with detailed feathers and paint jobs? (Probably) Did the question get asked when goose hunters first fielded shilouettes with actual pictures of geese super-imposed on them?? (Possibly) How about the extended ranges that modern shotgun shells can give us which would also allow a poorly skilled hunter the same advantages?? We all know the same debates have been argued with the advent of electronics for fishing, as well as the recently introduced underwater camera systems.

I am torn with how I feel. I have never hunted over a winged decoy. I do plan on trying one this season... much to the reason that Gull pointed out (I hunt a lot of areas with a lot of competition). If it can better my odds in situations like this, maybe I can justify their use. I typically use several dozen decoys to better my odds. I also use calls and camoflauge for the same reason. Is this tool truly something to be considered as cheating? Where does one draw the line??

Borch also had a great point... when everyone is using them, and the birds are getting banged at over them, how soon will they be wary of them? Sounds like as little as part of a season for some of them.

One thing I know is this-- If it all becomes too easy, and once the challange is truly gone, I will give up on whatever is causing it to lose its enjoyment. Maybe I'll go back to hunting with 9 standard hen mallard dekes like my Dad still does...

Keep the comments coming!! I think this is an important topic!!

Duck-o-holic

a tough topic indeed!! i don't own one and i never will. i realize that they are legal and therefore if you choose to use one , you are certainly entitled to it.

if you use one to level the field because the guy next to you is using one, and i use one to level the field because you are using one and the guy next to me uses one to level the field because i am using one, i feel that about the only ones that truely have the disadvantage here are the ducks... and to me the ducks are what duck hunting is all about.

duck-o-holic, you make some good points regarding the number of decoys that you put out, your calling, camo etc. i feel that if you have the ambition the get up earlier than most, put out more decoys, practice your calling until your **** good at it, master your camoflauge and you are pulling ducks away from other hunters, you've certainly earned it... you've paid your dues and are now reaping the rewards for your efforts. that sounds like hunting to me. to have the next guy not put out that kind of effort and use motorized decoys to be as, or more, successful seems wrong to me. its too easy and duck hunting should not be easy that way. seems then that the focus has shifted to shooting more ducks rather than hunting ducks.

i get the feeling that there are many out there that personally would rather not use them but feel that they have to, to compete with others. if thats how people really feel, then maybe instead of buying one(some) we should police our own ranks and help have them made illegal.

i know there is another side to this argument and my opinion is just that...my opinion. and at least for the time being, they are legal.

i don't think that there is any doubt that they will make you more successful, but that doesn't make you a better hunter.

now i'm off my soapbox. rip me if you please.

------------------
Roopy

BRONCOSGUY,

You can get touch up paint at Gander Mountain or order it from Herter's. I generally order it from Herter's as you can buy a kit for a specific species or individual colors. I get the Catalogue but I think you can go there on line at herters.com.

GullGuide and Duck - o-holic, If you guys were really experienced hunters and into the "challenge" you speak of then there is no way you would own a robo-duck or plan to purchase one. This stuff about buying one to keep up with the rest is b/s. I personally saw the robo-duck work real well as far as ducks decoying in but as far as actually getting a duck you still need to be a good shot. Just because a duck decides to come in and take a look doesn't mean you're going to get it. Come on, face it, you will use one if it works.

ladybass,
I'm confused as to what point you are trying to make here.
I personally think they should be banned, but if I am not getting ANY shooting at all on a lake that I prefer to hunt because someone else has one of these things and I don't, then I MIGHT consider buying one. If I have to dance with the devil to enjoy hunting on a lake where 5 generations of my family have spent their lives hunting, I am going to do it. I will not sit back and see everyone on the lake use these and get ducks while I sit there and do not. You might say, "well, go hunt another lake", why should I have to give up my heritage because of Robo? Using one of these things has nothing to do with how good of a hunter you are. A total novice can use one of these with lethal success because no matter how bad of a shot you are you will eventually get your birds although it might take you a few boxes. That brings up another point. Yes, they may not get their birds, but how many times have you seen birds that have been shot at go to someone else's spread? Only time that I have seen this is during a driving snow storm and the birds had no choice. I have not bought one yet. Hopefully the powers that be will outlaw these things before I have to.
>"////=<

Interesting debate, lots of good points. I bought a roboduck last year, used it one time and tossed it back in the box because it seemed to be flaring the ducks. In hindsite, maybe I wasn't camoflaged enough. I didn't use it opening weekend because - well just because I thought the hunting would be good enough without it - and it was :-) I'll probably get it out this weekend and try it to see if its really the miracle decoy that people say it is.

I'm trying to figure out how a person would test whether the roboduck is really the reason that the ducks are coming in. Hunt the same spot three days in a row and alternate on the roboduck? Turn it on and off every 1/2 hour? Of course the first hour wouldn't count either way. Then you have the variable of wind direction/weather, hunting pressure, location - I don't know. But theres no substitute for proper camoflage, proper decoy placement, good calling, and being in a spot where the ducks want to be.

Blackjack,
That's what I thought too, about there being no substitute, but last year I was proven wrong on more than one occasion. They do work. So well that they should be banned. I've seen birds land in places where I have never seen them land before. I've seen hunters who are basically standing in the open with hardly any camo and have the ducks pour into them. I have seen hunters with their faces into the wind and have ducks drop right in on them. I've heard calls that sound like a sick dog call the birds right in. All these hunters had one thing in common- they had one or more robo-ducks.
Good luck this weekend
>"////=<

GullGuide, I think that you just plain don't like the robo-duck. I agree with BlackJack that there is NO substitute for proper camo, proper duck decoy placement, good calling and being in a spot where the ducks want to be. I hunted in an area that two different partys had the robo-duck and I didn't. We all had great shooting and the robo-ducks didn't make that much difference. I think you are mad that other people are hunting on "your lake" and you don't like it. Well guess what, GET OVER IT. And by the way, the point I was trying to make in my first post was your statement that you might just have to buy a robo-duck to keep up with the others - that is a cop out - why don't you just stick to your guns and hunt the way you want to hunt and forget about the others.

Oh brother.....
I AM NOT WHINING about people hunting MY lake as you like to call it or that you are trying to put into my mouth or insinuate. I am complaining about the UNFAIRNESS that these devices create. Why should I have to go to another lake to hunt on an ethical basis, just because a number of hunters have found it necessary to use a robo to increase their success. Bornofice is right on. We waterfowlers who are good at what we do have paid immense dues to get good at duck hunting. Dues that Borno layed out quite well. A big problem I have is that robos take away a lot of that trial and error that many of us have worked so hard to figure out in the first place. It is also contributing to the "Video game" mentality of some of the next generation of hunters, meaning- "If it ain't fast and furious and if I don't fill out every time out, then it's not worth it". And by using robo this just adds to that mentality.

[This message has been edited by GullGuide (edited 10-04-2001).]

What the heck is LadyBass talking about? You're trying to make an argument out of nothing.

Ban the Robo-Duck. I've seen it make crappy hunters good hunters. That's not right. It takes quite a bit of time, frozen hands, frozen feat, frostbit ears, days of staring at empty skies but still going, ripping your waders on barbwire hidden underwater, putting a hole in your boat while breaking ice in November, wrapping a decoy cord in the motor while putting out decoys, falling down in a swamp in the dark, looking for hours for a duck you sailed, figuring out when to call and not call ducks, driving down every dirt road in a 200 miles square area looking for one slough with 10 ducks on it, asking permission from the 10th different farmer in a row and hearing no again, getting up at 12:00am to get "the spot", falling asleep in the boat on an all day hunt only to wake up to ducks doing the "cha-cha" in your decoys, and seeing your favorite dog die to make a competent waterfowler. One device should not make competent hunter because waterfowling isn't no one-night stand, it's a lifetime.

Ban it.

Winers (or wieners) we may be, but I think your missing the point. Duck hunting is deeply rooted in tradition and requires one to take a few lumps to gain competency.

LadyBass, do you work for a company that sells these things?

Ladybass, I think you're out of line. Why don't you just present an argument for or against the Roboduck instead of 'shooting the messenger'. Gullguide is just trying to debate the pros and cons of the mechanical ducks, does it help or hurt the sport of duck hunting?

I'm still up in the air about this. What about other technology like depth finders on boats, ice depth finders, GPS's, shotguns that shoot 3-3 1/2 inch shells that allow you to shoot that goose at 60 yards, better heaters that allow you to stay out longer, warmer clothes and boots, etc? I know that my FL8 will show me that the fish are supended at 20 feet instead of at the bottom - that allows me to catch more fish. You could go on and on. Where is the Roboduck different?

I'll write back after the weekend experiments. You guys make it sound like I can throw it out in the pond, go stand 20 yards away without camoflage and shoot ducks. Guess theres only one way to find out.

The robo duck is an electronic device that completely FOOLS the ducks to believe it is a live, flying bird. Sure decoys fool birds, but nothing like a live-like bird that is landing into a bunch of decoys.
Now Blackjack, you bring up fishing into this whole debate. Sure GPS's and depth finders assist in LOCATING fish, NOT FOOLING THEM!! We don't send little fishys as decoys that swim around (with the use of electronic methods) with a hook on it, do we? No. Underwater cameras do not catch fish, they locate fish.
If we had electronics, like sonar for example, that helped us locate birds, great! But that doesn't mean that it will improve our odds of killing birds or fooling them into believing it is a fellow mate.
In my opinion you are comparing apples to oranges, BLACKJACK.

Now Ladybass, you missed the entire point of this forum. Sure GullGuide said fire away at me, but I am sure that was a figure of speech. Attacking GullGuide is out of line. This is an opinion forum. For being a teacher I am surprised how you have not distinguished between opinion and what you call WHINING! smile.gif

Now I am sure this is out of line but what is the difference between a Roboduck and a wounded duck on the water. If you wound a duck you are supposed to go and get it right away and not leave it on the water to entice more birds into you. In my opinion the only difference is that the live duck is just that "live". Not much of a difference. of all the wounded ones I have seen on the water all they pretty mush do if flap up, just like robo, to figure out what is wrong. do not hear any quacking. just a opinion as to not liking them. I do beleive the paying your dues duck hunting should be done. when I started over 7 yrs ago there were many days I would see tons of ducks and not get any. Now that I have the experience for hunting (calling, decoy setting, picking the correct blind and using the right camo) I can get ducks, but that is something learned over yrs and should not be taken for granted as roboduck would make a new guy take it for granted and then say to a person without a roboduck that this is easy and state "I do not know what your complaining about this hunting thing is easy." So my vote is bye-bye roboduck.

Broncosguy

i don't really have an opinion one way or the other concerning the use of roboduck, but i think you are a hypocrite if you say that there is a big difference between electronics in fishing and the roboduck in hunting. take for example the fl-8 or 18 flashers. if you know where the fish are, there is a pretty **** good chance you will "trick" them. i believe they are one in the same. just my opinion

Wow... Did this topic ever heat up since I've been gone over the past four days!!! A lot of interesting (and some confusing) comments out there.

ladybass-- I really AM an experienced hunter, and DO NOT need a Robo-Duck to get birds. You have completely missed the point! I did purchase one this year, and would also like to see them banned! My initial curiousity was to see how and if they actually worked, as I have never seen one in action! I did try it out on opener, and posted an UNBIASED review of its performance (see: Robo Review). I'm also anxious to see BLACKJACKs review of it, and hope he adds it to the Robo Review post.

Gullguide doesn't even OWN a Robo, and you criticized him right along with me... for just posting his opinion. I also KNOW that Gull is an experienced hunter, that wouldn't normally need a fancy "winged" decoy to lure in birds. Here again, is where YOU ARE MISSING THE POINT!!! Gull is simply stating that with Robos legal, every Joe C. Average hunter can now compete with the likes of experienced, hardcore hunters (see Roop's and Bornofices great descriptions of hardcore hunters). This is what has people like BLACKJACK, Gull, and myself (among others) debating whether or not to buy one just to stay competitive against Joe C. Average, who has UNFAIRLY leveled the field (or slough) to his/her advantage.

I am all for banning Robos, if they are truly as deadly as everyone seems to claim they are. If all of the hype about them is true, then banning them should only improve my hunting successes! Until then, I will probably use one on water that others are using them. Hopefully-- if birds see two or three spreads with movement, they'll then decoy into the spread with the best decoy placement, best calling, best location, and best concealed hunters... just like ladybass mentioned! Roop also makes a great point. If the birds don't get used to this, and there are more of them harvested... they should be banned. Hopefully this will consolidate us all to voice our opinions to our proper legislative representitives if this is truly the case.

Good Gunnin'

Duck-o-holic

Settle down boys! This is suppose to be an "opinion" forum and yet when I voiced mine I got jumped on for it. I do not think that Robo-duck should be banned. Why do I care if some one chooses to use one? I prefer to do it the old fashion way but it is a free country and if there are people that wish to use them then why not let them. And NO I DON'T WORK FOR A COMPANY THAT MAKES THEM but I do not think they should be banned. grin.gif