• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Consumer Reports for Sleds?

Uncle Grump

Hi All

My son is looking to upgrade his sled. Is there a publication which review the various brands and models for the good and bad like Consumers Reports does for cars and trucks?

He was looking at a '98 AC ZL500 - which when we looked at it didn't seem to bad - but then he subsequently got word of mouth info which said stay away from that model, as they have trouble.

Thanks

UG

A good source of information can be had on newsgropups, particularly rec dot sport dot snomobiles.

Use google, and you will find it on their newsgroups area.

It is what used to be usenet, and is unmoderated. Thus, there is some **** to wade through, but you will get good honest answers for the most part.

I rode a 1998 500 ZL last season.
Sled was very quick, great power to weight ratio. Thats a reed valve engine so you're looking at 97 h.p. rating in a 475 lb package.
Mine was carbed, I didn't have reverse either. I have heard nothing but good things about the 500 c.c suzuki powerplant, they sold that setup for several years. Good luck on your purchase.

What kind of trouble are we talking about with the 98 ZL500?

Its a fantastic sled. Great motor, great suspension.

If it is EFI, make sure its Batteryless. 2 pull starts when cold, 1/2 pull starts after its warmed up.

I would be more concerned about how many miles are on the sled. High mileage and you'll need to be replacing bearings, etc.

I own one '99 AC ZL500 and this is an excellent sled. I'd like to find another one. The key to the ZL500 in my opinion is to get the "batteryless EFI" In other words this is a fuel injected sled and the system does not depend on a battery. The only problems I've heard of on these sleds is on the EFI's that aren't batteryless...

EFI vs Carbs

They both work great. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a carbureted sled again. BUT, after having the EFI, I don't think I'll ever go back.

-2 pull starts absolutely every time
-no jetting to worry about, doesn't matter what temp. or altitude you are riding at, performance will be consistent
-throttle is smooth and easy, your thumb won't get tired after a day of riding

If you are into racing, or modifying your sled, I'd probably stick with the carbs. It will allow you more tunability. Last time I checked, AC & Black Magic weren't offering an EFI chip for the newer EFI sleds. Mine is an 02 and I couldn't get one last time I looked. There might be one available now, but I haven't looked in awhile.

Uncle Grump,

Not a thing wrong with running carbs. As long as routine(annual) maintenance is performed on any carbed sled it will have no problems and be easy starting. My carbed 98' ZL500 started anywhere from the 2nd to 3rd (cold start) pull everytime last year. Anytime I buy a sled the first thing I do is completely tear the carbs down, remove all components, thoroughly clean with a carb cleaner and little stiff brush. This is for my own protection, I don't know how the previous guy maintained his sled and I am going to remove any potential for a meltdown, due to junk plugging jets. You may also discover old tarnished gas too, just a good ounce of protection.

This is also a good time to see what size of fuel jet the owner was running in his carbs. You can then replace with the appropriate jet for your riding temp. and altitude. It may have the factory jets in it, which are typically jetted way fat(lots of fuel) for the break end period. I would suggest jetting it a little fat, thus protecting yourself in the worse case scenario. (Average Joe jets it once and rides all season, Johnny Racer may jet every weekend.)

Now put in a fresh set of plugs.

I also replace fuel, injection oil, and chain case oil. I am not risking my investment on what the previous owner might have done.

Also, thumb fatigue with this sled I found to be very light. I am referring to the throttle pull, which you can get with carbed sleds. I had a 600 tripple, and that thing created some serious thumb fatigue. With EFI there is little resistance on the fun lever.

[This message has been edited by lots of luck (edited 10-01-2004).]

1800 seems to be a bit high, unless its in very good shape. I had a 97 ZRT600 which was a very good sled, but this year sled is made for extreme ditch banging, not much for trail riding. the 580 is a good motor. any efi sled is great, but the batteryless is the way to go. I have the 04 f6 efi, and this thing starts, and stays at its peak performance nomatter the temp, which the 580 will do, but with a battery.