• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Permission for new property!

tunrevir

I spoke with a local farmer and gained access to 160 acres just a few short minutes from the house. I am really pumped! He is older and his kids don't hunt and he was awfully nice about letting me hunt. Now I didn't just blurt out,"Can I hunt your land?" I approached him about the farm and the property and if anyone hunted it. I am sure he knew the angle of the conversation and where it was headed but I made some small talk first. I think the deal sealer was that I told him I was looking at his fences and such, and they looked like they could use a little TLC and was wondering if I could give hime a hand doing that. His eyes lit up and he took me up on the offer so I will assist him in mending the fences later this year after the season. I also mentioned that since he was in close proximity to my place he call if he needs more help around the farm, whether it be haying, barn repair or a little bobcat work. He was more then interested in what I had to say and subsequently, I have a new property to hunt that is fairly exclusive. I am really looking foreward to building this landowner relationship and to the possibilities that exist for hunting. I also spoke to another farmer north of Flake about an hour and got good vibes from him as well when I offered the work to hunt scenario so I may have a rifle spot next year as well that I haven't had in the past. The biggest thing is if you offer to work, show up when they call, work hard and do what is asked of you. This same farmer booted a group off for not showing up to work but only to hunt after promising to give him a hand. 2 properties opened up in 1 week just by offering to work around the farmstead. The second farmer owns 500 acres and said if I'm willing to work in the summer he'd give me and my kids access in the fall. So even private land can be opened up if you have the will to ask and the will to follow up and assist as needed when called upon. I will be calling these farmers and asking them over the winter what I can do to help out, when they will need me and of course putting myself out there for needs that come up during the year if they need a hand. How about it? are you willing to put some time in and help the land owner in exchange for a chance to hunt? Win, win in my book, but you have to commit and showup if you say your gonna be there. It's been a great week so far and haven't even hit the woods....yet:)

Tunrevir~

Good for you tunrevir, that is awsome stuff there. I have a simular story only I am still driving 85 miles to get there. In SE area 341 so I don't mind the drive when I have my ice shack on there property and hooked up to 110.

Over the last 8 years it has been hunting and doing favors for them. Most importantly I have developed a good friendship with them. Bought myself a new chain saw this year and now have them set up with a couple winters of wood.

Keeps a guy in good shape too, it is a great spot to have all to myself and the work I do to gain the opertunity is small compared to the memories I now have from 8 seasons.

There is also a spot I hunt just north 18 miles and it was also established thru work and relationship building. Been on that 160 for 12 years now.

Thanks for sharing an important topic when it comes to the how's of gaining access to a life time of good hunting. I am forever great greatful to the folks who have made it possible for me.

If you give you shall receive. I do very similar farm work on the 400+ acres I hunt in SE Mn, I dont mind doing work, most of the time its fun stuff, always fixing something anyways. I working on another 80 acre piece that will connect all 400 acres together, just all about timing and to be willing to ask, worst they can say is no and itll be no different then when you started if they do. Well worth the effort for a private piece of land!

Good stuff guys, keep it coming! Your suggestions may very well help others to get onto a little piece of hunting ground that they can look foreward to making memories on and assist the landowner and make some lifetime relationships as well!

Tunrevir~

Courtesy to a landowner is huge.

I have 3 turkey spots locked up now that the landowners have committed to me they wont let anyone else on.

I make an effort to stop in and talk to them any time I am in the area with even 10 minutes of free time available. And it just takes a couple times a year.

I shot my turk last year a half mile back in the hills.... Dropped everything and walked out to get my truck... I had my blind, bird, backpack, gun, decoys, etc....

Hoofed it out and met one of the other landowners across the road as he was driving down the road..... He told me to hop in and lets go get the UTV.....

He dragged my saggy a$$ in his UTV(across his neighbors property) through the hills to my kill spot to pick up all my gear and turkey...

I have known the guy for only 4 years now, and I consider the guy a great friend. Better yet, he is retired and I think he considers me a better friend.... There is an army of great people out there. Cultivate them friendships....

Good for you Randy. Hope you get your kids involved in some of the work too. A great lesson for them.

We'll be looking for some photos of the deer taken there in the upcoming years.

Landowner relationships are a key, that is how my wife and I keep the land we are hunting on.

We clear the fields from wood that has fallen in the spring on their fields, keep an eye on their properties (one land owner lives a good distance aways).

Help with whatever they might need and always send Christmas cards with pictures of our family with a little gift for them.

Obey there wishes, take deer they want you to harvest if they have an opinion, take does, bucks or not fawns, whatever.

Biggest key is to respect them and their land.