• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Snowmobile vs ATV?

WalleyeDundee

I've never owner either a snowmobile or ATV and would like to get one next winter mainly for fishing. I'm not sure which would be better. If I was purely using it to fish, an ATV would probably be best. An ATV will work on the ice with or without snow. However, I like the idea of riding the trails with a sled. Any ideas or thoughts that I might be missing?

How does a guy go about buying a used sled/ATV without getting screwed? I'd have very little ability to verify that it is in solid mechanical condition.

I suppose I could kick the skis. confused.gif

I went threw this back in 02, If you can, buy from a party you know, or trust. I ended up buying new. I bought a sled, thought long and hard between the 2. the thing that made me turn towards the sled is when someone mentioned that owning an atv has more uses like, "when theres too much snow on the ice to use for fishing, you can still plow your driveway" Not for me! I love winter, and sure the last few have sucked for the snow lovers, but, I can go where no 4x4 will this year, and faster too.
I bought a fan cooled, touring style sled, can still be riden on ice lacking snow, with little damage, also thinking that in the end selling it to someone like yourself would be easier, as these types of sleds used, are hard to come by.
If I had the money I'd own both.
do plenty of research on what ever your looking at, and dont get cought up in the moment of a "good deal" they are out there but many are to good to be true.

good luck

I have both sleds and a wheeler. I've been riding sled for about 20 years now. I bought my wheeler new in 02. For me, if I had to start over, I'd go wheeler. I use mine duck hunting, deer hunting, goofing off, fishing, etc, blah, blah, blah. I still very much enjoy riding snowmobile, but I can live without the sleds. I'll never be without a wheeler again. Just my $.02.

This time of year the 4 wheeler will get buried in the slush on the lakes unless you have a plowed road, otherwise the 4 wheeler is much more useful. But for speed the sled will take you out and back more quick. Even a sled will get buried in the slush so if you go after a sled get a good deep snow model with an extra long track and deep tread. I just picked up a Polaris SKS 144" track and it is amazing what this sled will do compared to the touring model I have for sale. I am not sure if one can get stuck on a lake with this sled. Just my thoughts on this. Good Luck

[This message has been edited by iceyooper (edited 02-17-2004).]

I have a 99 yamaha venture 500 that I use for pulling my portable. I am going to put on a pair of hiperfax runners which will basically allow me to run the machine on bare ice, and also I'm going to put on studs. If the purpose is primarily ice fishing that you need the transportation for, I'd go with the sled.

Big_umms, I just sold it. It was a 96 Polaris 600 touring. Ran well since I owned it, but it was hell if you were unfortunate enough to stop in a slushy spot. On deep snow, one does not know how much water may be on the ice until its too late. Once the track was on bare ice and buried in slush it made for a bad day and a back ache. This SKS is just just what the doctor ordered.