• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fan cooled or Liquid cooled?

I have a fan I am selling now. I was thinking about buying a newer fan next year. I just want your opinions on whats better fan or liquid cooled. I never had a problem with my fan. What do you guys think. Some people argue over this.
Thanks

Water cooled engines run at a constant optimal temp. Air cooled engines rely on air temps that vary widely. Could be -30 one day and +40 the next. Performance varies with these temps too. I would bet that the water cooled engine will last longer because its running at an optimal temp.

[This message has been edited by Surface Tension (edited 02-11-2004).]

It really your choice but it doesn't really matter to me. On warm days, 25ºF and above, the fans will out perform a liquid cooled. On cold days, less than 10ºF, a liquid will out perform a fan.
But really since I normally like to ride when its colder out I would go with a liquid. And pretty much all in all a liquid is a better choice.
I just what you prefer I suppose.

------------------
AKA PikeEye 300

I'm gonna strongly disagree with your statement.
"On warm days, 25ºF and above, the fans will out perform a liquid cooled. On cold days, less than 10ºF, a liquid will out perform a fan."
Its just wrong on a couple of levels.
Surface Tension pretty much nailed it.

[This message has been edited by Diezel350 (edited 02-12-2004).]

I would have to agree with the LocalGuide !!
A fan sled is recommended for a novice or young rider. Operating a snowmobile at slow (25 mph or less) will overheat a liquid before it will overheat a fan. I read this in a tech artical from snowGoer magazine just about a month ago.