• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Brittney Spaniels

ntrider

Hi,

Just wondering if any of you have any advice on where one would begin to find a pup. I am starting my search and i know this isnt the best time of the year. I googled breeders and have found a few but thought i would have found more results. When searching for a dog such as a Brittney how would you begin your search. I would like a purebred but dont neccessarly know a lot about the AKC designation. If any of you wanted to chime in on the importance of the designation let me know but i am just looking for a good dog. Could be from a reputable breeder or from a friend that their Brittney had a one-time litter. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I got my Britt from Tainter Creek Brittanys out of Soldiers Grove, Wisconsin. I could not be happier with him. He is a lazy bum around the house and is most happy when we let him in and he gets to lay on the rug, close to us. Outside he just likes to run. Don't think I've ever seen him walk anywere. Great hunting instinct. I never trained him, but he'll keep up with any dog I've ever hunted with. Doesn't retrieve the best, though. I wouldn't trade him for anything.

Other than that, I don't have any suggestions. I know back when I was doing some research the "Maverick" line of Britts was suppose to be a little more laid back than others, and is what I was looking for. Very happy and this is what my next dog will be as well. I think I paid around $300 or $350 for him, and he is 100X the hunter and companion that my buddy's so called pointing lab is, that he paid over $1,000.00 for.

NoWiser,Thanks for the response. I would assume that in spring there will be pups to be found. Again i am not looking for a $1000 dog that is registered. Most sites i find obviously are registered and again i dont know enough about it to know if it makes a difference to me. I know i am not going to have it bred so i would think that would be a big factor. I will check out the breeder that you had posted. Again thanks for the response.

Ben's Brittanys is on here quite a bit. He seems to have great dogs... several of the guys whom post on here have gotten pups from him. I'm sure they will chime in on their experience with Ben's.

Good Luck!

Ken

Lakeside Brittanies in Maple Lake, MN is where I got my pup a year and a half ago. She's in the middle of her second hunting season and is pretty impressive. Only had her on grouse last year and to begin this year, but took her out pheasant hunting last week and I couldn't believe how quickly she picked it up and how her pointing came around. I am very happy with my pup and their price is reasonable for a pure bred. I think I paid around $550. They have a litter due any day that will be available in December, FYI. Look them up. They're on facebook.

Do some reading around here and come up with what type of dog you're looking for (close ranging/big running, small and compact/big and leggy, really bold/not so bold, etc). Then I'd give Minnesota Brittany Club or St. Croix Valley Brittanys a call. All pups are "registered" but if you're looking at puting the time and effort in a hunting dog you make part of your family, you'll want the breeder to at least take the time to breed registered (I'd go as far as hunt test/trialed) dogs.

A dog they refer you to may cost another $200 - $300 more. But that dog will have the breeding and generations of best of best dogs that ensures it'll be one heck of a hunter. The "I have a brit and it hunts and you have a brit that hunts" breeding is a crapshoot. You'll have that dog maybe 10 hunting seasons and the $20 - $30 a year will really seem inexpensive if you end up on the wrong end of the crapshoot. The clubs care about what's in the best interest of you and the dog. More so than internet forums. Be honest with them about what you want and they'll figure the rest out. For the record now my brittany cost $400 and came out of MH lines. Not all breeders are interested in making a lot of money, they're the best.

If Ben's had his available sooner, I would have gotten one from him. I picked up my second brittany on Saturday from Timberland Kennels in WI. He still had 2 males left. Cute pups, my older brit was bought from the same breeder and has been nothing short of an amazing dog.