• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

To EFI or not, that is the question

Captain Ken

If you had to pick between an EFI sled and one of the same make, model and year that was a dual carb, which would you pick and why? Most of my riding is in the Tower, MN area, although Harold's is handily near by, if I break down by my place, I was thinking carbs would be easier to fiddle with than if I lose an injector or something like that. But then again, if it's 0 and I am in the middle of snow, am I actually going to be fiddling with a carb? Maybe not.

Any pros and cons would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Ken

------------------
Captain Ken Kessler
www.captainken.com
www.muskieschool.com
Guiding in Illinois and North East Minnesota
847-970-9108 Illinois
218-742-4680 Minnesota

If you want to ride and ride only get EFI real smooth easy starting (always starts)usualy better MPG. On arctic cats if you get a 2000 or newer they have battery-less EFI no battery anymore. Me myself I like to upgrade and get the most out of my sled so I go carb. You can rejet, play with the airbox and I have never had any problems with mine. I think if a person takes care of the carbs they are trouble free. Maintance is the key.

Thanks, that helps. I'm planning to ride and not fiddle with the engine to increase performance etc. Just get into the engine when I need to in order to keep 'er running as best as possible, within the limits of the stock parts. Don't see myself rejetting fiddling with the clutches etc. Just ridin' and fishin' and looking cool enuf to have the women look at me as I go by and wish they were on the back of that sled grin.gif

Ken

Get the EFI on a newer model sled. They will start a lot better and like 01zr800 said they will probably get better MPG.
With a carb you will get a little more horsepower but for what you are doing go with the EFI.

------------------
AKA PikeEye 300

After having carb sleds all my life I picked up a new '02 Mtn. Cat 800 with EFI last year and I can definetly say I will never go back to carbs again, too easy to go and pull the rope and walk away, no choke lever, no babysitting it when it fist starts and never having to worry about jetting. Its just too easy.

Mike

------------------
Frozen Bait

Ken If your going to get an EFI sled make sure it is the battery less EFI. Superior system to the battery system.

01zr800,

Batteryless EFI on AC's was intoduced on the '97 model year but only on the ZR 580's ETT. Was in full swing production on the 500 and 600's the following year.

We have ridden a pair of 99'Artic Cat ZL 500's with EFI (no battery). We never had any problems with either of them. Since there is no battery, when you first start them it usually takes 2 or 3 pulls to fire them up. No big deal - they start very easily. We were going to get electric start but my wife could pull her own so we don't have to deal with batteries.

I would buy another EFI sled again in a heartbeat. I have a 2002 ZR600 EFI and it is just an unbelievable machine. The EFI is great, not to mention its one of the best riding snowmobiles I've ever been on. 2nd pull starts every single time when its cold, after its been running its about a half a pull to get it going again. Even with the cold weather we just had, it started 2nd pull when it was -20 out.

If you like to tinker with your sled for performance, better stick with the carbs. The older Arctic Cat EFI's you could get performance chips for them but then you are back to having a battery. Hope you want an Arctic Cat too because I don't believe any of the other manufacturers are making EFIs unless you want to get one of Polaris's earlier attempts at it in the 90's with the RXL and 500 SP.

Thanks guys. I got great deal on a great condition 93 WC 700 EFI. Yes, it has a battery, but I can deal with that. Rode it around last night in our fresh Illinois snow, it was fun, fun, fun. Compared to the same model with carbs (my other one) it starts TONS easier and with much less pulling. That is great cause I bought it under the pretense that it was for my wife. If I get her that ring she wants, maybe she'll let me use this one. grin.gif Saving for the ring, that's why I got a 93 vs an '03 smile.gif This one has reverse on it too. I don't think I will ever buy another sled without reverse.

Only thing I worry about is some kind of computer module malfunction. Seems to me harder to fix cheaply than carbs. But, maybe they don't break all that often. Academic worry now, since I bought it!

Thanks as always
Ken

------------------
Captain Ken Kessler
www.captainken.com
www.muskieschool.com
Guiding in Illinois and North East Minnesota
847-970-9108 Illinois
218-742-4680 Minnesota