• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

arctic cat won't start

northwoodsman

When was the last time you ran the machine?

If has been a while you may need the carbs cleaned. Pull one of the bowl screws off, if it is green you got plugged pilot jets.

I just realized I bought the enticer. One thing I would suggest is getting a new intake boot for the jag, I did notice alot of tape around it, and that cases an air leak and If it doesn't have and air box find one also, slide carbs are not designed to run with out air boxes well.

Thanks again for helping me load the sled.

[This message has been edited by sledhead (edited 01-04-2004).]

How long since you last ran it?
Does it have spark?
Is it getting fuel?
Try pulling plugs and give it a shot of gas or spray loose and see if it will fire.
Might help to get it in a warm place something could be iced up.

If you've checked everything over spray WD-40 into the carb(s) or airbox, whichever is easiest. Better than starting fluid and has multiple uses. If it's not getting fuel but has spark and compression you'll at least get her to fire a little bit.

Kevin

last time was two weeks ago when i fired it up.. my neighbor cleaned the carb still looks clean, sledhead no problem
hope you have good luck with the sled
also everyone i spoke to told me it's the cold weather i spoke to a woman who runs
bushwackers snowmobile club said she had trouble starting her cat she has a liquid cooled arctic cat i think it's an 04 not sure

Well did you get it running or you waiting for it to warm up?Is it just me or does it sound a little funny saying my snowmobile wont start because its to cold?Hope you get it running.

Try tapping your carb with a wrench. I had trouble getting my 440 started one time, called the dealer and asked for advice, he told me to tap the carb as sometimes a jet will stick, which I did and it started right up, otherwise the computer chip may have blowen. Good luck.

Northwoodsman.... I was having similar problems with my '81 Pantera 5000. Impossible to start....frustrated the heck out of me for over a week. Had the carb off and apart at least 5 times with no luck. Figured out that the crankcase was loading up with fuel... just needed to isolate why. When the carb was off, ran a vacuum test of the needle and seat..they held their seal so focused on the fuel pump. Low and behold, I had a substantial tear in the diaphram that was allowing fuel to siphon right in to the carnkcase. Replaced the part ($5.00 Cdn), then had to get the fuel out of the engine by leaving the spark plugs out and cranking the engine over with the pull start rope. The first few pulls had gas spewing up to the ceiling of the shop, so beware!!! Also, MAKE SURE THAT THE KEY AND CUTOFF SWITCH ARE TURNED OFF SO THAT THE WIRE LEADS / SPARK PLUGS DO NOT SPARK!!!! Ran rough for a while after getting it going, but it is starting better than it ever has, and runs better also. Leads me to believe that there may have been a tear in that pump for a while.
Hope this help... and that you get the sled going shortly.

haven't tryed WD40 yet. i'll do that when i get home from my cousins house.. i did
check for spark i put new spark plugs in
i did pour a little gas in where the plugs sit my neighbor was with me he told me to pull on the recoil 10 times then put the plugs back in and nothing. i hope WD40 works
will let you know

Not that I am a big expert in this area, cause I was here not long ago myself....
My AC was starting and running like dump. Did the new fuel filter, total cleaning of carbs (at least twice) new fuel pumps, new gas, siphon old gas, sea foam etc etc.... Got her going real nice in garage. Dragged it all teh way up to MN and nothing. Lost 10 lbs of body weight pulling the darn thing and NOTHING. Who know how much you could sweat when it is 10 below. That was the temp. Checked for spark, seemed to not have any. Rearranged the plugs, and it seemd to. Still, it seemed like it was not getting any spark. Gave up. Came back after it sat in sun one pull adn we were started. Hummmmm....took off down teh trail, back to running like dump. Then like someone pulled the kill switch. Barely got it going again. Drove it on trailer and took to Harold's in Tower. Immediately upon hearing my story he says it's electrical. VERY COOL SHOP-- says we'll some out and try to get you going right now. Pulls apart some connections, (some way deep in there) in the safety circuits, and some are pretty corroded. Jumpers the whole mess out so it's just the engine and ignition and it ran liek a top. They tried to clean them but could not find the exact bad one so he has the machine till I come up next---hopefully in a couple weeks. Maybe something like that is going on for you.

Ken

sorry to hear the sleds not runnign yet. Neither is the enticer yet. She's got a new motor now and neww ignition. shes almost ready to hit the ice. She's getting new paint this week. Good luck with the cat.

kingfisher, i went to roach's lawn and marine
in crosslake i told the guy my sled won't run
he said there moisture in the carburator
i need to drain it and put it back hopefully it will start, he has a 1978 arctic cat jag 3000 forsale for $495. dew yes i do still have the ski-doo

You said, "i did pour a little gas in where the plugs sit my neighbor was with me he told me to pull on the recoil 10 times then put the plugs back in and nothing."

Not sure why your neighbor had you pull the engine over 10 times after priming the engine then put the plug in. All that did was blow the gas back out. Do it over with mixed gas. Pour a teaspoon in the plug hole and replace the plug and pull it over. WD40 will work but its not as volatile as gas and it leaves gunk behind. If your ever in the Duluth area drop me a line and drag the sled with you.