• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gun regristration

Bought as new rifle a few weeks ago and no problems with the FBI check.

Now last week, purchased 2 more rifles and I got delayed. 4 days later I was cleared good to go.

I am lost why they do not say why you were delayed and just leave one hanging.

I would guess I have went throught the check 20 times and never had one issue and then, sorry delayed. Never an issue with a pistol permit either.

If they get worse, I will just purchase private party weapons and the heck with thier registration all together.

If the Gov ever decides to ban guns, they cannot take away what they do not know you own with an unregistered weapon.

I've had check go through without delay and then the next time there is a delay.

Never more then a day though.

The background check is only that and the firearm purchased isn't registered.

We don't have a firearm registration.

After the background check those records are destroyed.

I agree that it is a background check and I should have said that in the title Frank.

The part I do not understand is one can buy about any type gun they want without a background check doing it through a private party so, I see this as kind of a joke.

Crooks have guns we cannot purchase or own so why bother?

I never used to get delayed and the last 4 guns I have purchased I was delayed every time! I wish they would tell you why. It sucks especially when you buy a rifle or a shotgun, get delayed and have to drive back to the store a second time to pick up! I was wondering if it wasn't the store just telling me I was delayed, just to get me in the store an extra time?

I agree, that it really makes no sense that I can go on A-list and meet in the Gander parking lot with Joe Schmo and buy any gun from him with no waiting period or chance of delay.

The person doing the check may or may not know the reason for the delay but for sure they can't devolve that info to the store clerk or over the phone for that matter.

Like you I wanted to know why and started my research with the FBI. Very frustrating experience to say the least and then questioned if I really wanted to do pursue it any further.

I have bought 4 guns in the last year, I got delayed on 2. Not sure why, but I think it is more of a random thorough check. I doubt it has any rhyme or reason. Like anything else the govt is in charge of.

For instance, I needed to call the DMV in St Paul about a CDL question, yup, on hold for 2 hours, then got disconnected, so I called back, sat on hold for another 45 minutes, then got a message they were now closed for the day, to call back during business hours. I also just transferred a title on a car, they said it would be 4-5 months before I get the title back. I also had to call the IRS, to ask a question on a form, after being on hold for almost an hour, the guy asks me a bunch of questions, puts me on hold about 10 more times, then tells me he can not assist me in answering questions on the form. That I needed to call a different number. Sorry, kinda off track there, but I had to deal with them things within the last few weeks.

I never used to get delayed and the last 4 guns I have purchased I was delayed every time! I wish they would tell you why. It sucks especially when you buy a rifle or a shotgun, get delayed and have to drive back to the store a second time to pick up! I was wondering if it wasn't the store just telling me I was delayed, just to get me in the store an extra time?

I agree, that it really makes no sense that I can go on A-list and meet in the Gander parking lot with Joe Schmo and buy any gun from him with no waiting period or chance of delay.

Yeah. I'm sure they would lie about the nics examiners response. You don't screw around with the fbi especially if you want to keep your ffl license. Also, the person calling in your check can be criminally charged if they screw up.

Also, in case anybody is wondering. The fbi NEVER EVER gives us a reason why someone is delayed. If you get delayed just deal with it. Just be thankful we can still buy guns. If you get delayed on a regular basis fill out a form for a upin and you won't have problems anymore.

I was just recenlty delayed on a gun purchase. the clerk told me that 1 out of every 10 people are automaticaly delayed no matter what. whether this is true or not I do not know.

Absolutely not true. Just so you know. I'd be willing to bet it's more like 1 in 50 and it's not automatic. There are "reasons" why certain people get delayed on a regular basis. The vast majority of people will never get delayed.