• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

gas/water

minneman

found LOTS of water in my fuel/pump/carbs. other than someone physicly pouring water in the tank how would this happen?? plastic tank/condensation?

other than the obvious, get it dryed out! any other tips to making sure I get it all out? prevention? any help greatly appreciated! 02 570 cat

Just curious, what kind of gas did you last put in the tank. I have encountered many accounts of oxygenated or ethanol-blend gas doing exactly that when it sits for long periods of time. Is it possible that it is the ethanol and not water?

------------------
Steve @ Bakken's Boat Shop www.bakkensboatshop.com

I thought long and hard where I purchased gas last, that was at holiday in roseau and I only put in the non oxy gas

what came out of the fule lines and bowls was about 50/50 water/gas. I put it in a clear container and the gas was on top.

Wow. Your guess is as good as mine as to how it got in there. I would just drain all the gas out of the tank and fill it back up with fresh non-oxy gas and add a little Heet into it while your filling up just to take care of any remaining moisture that might be in there.

------------------
Steve @ Bakken's Boat Shop www.bakkensboatshop.com

Concerning running drying agents in your fuel be sure to only use isopropyl alcohol, usually sold in the red bottles. This helps you rid yourself of moisture by allowing the water to "burn" in the cylinder. Won't take care of 50/50 gas and water solution though.

Kevin

You probably got the water from the gas pump. Its happened to me many times. If your running your sled and filling up often you can go with the oxygenated gas which already have alcohol so don't add any isopropyl. If your not putting many miles on then by all means go with non oxy gas with a stabilizer.
Heres a tip. Fill up your gas cans and let them sit for a couple days outside. The water will settle to the bottom and freeze.

We think bringing our sleds into the heated garage is good practice but imagine the condensation crated from gas that could be as cold as -30 in your tank allowed to warm to 70 degrees. Thats a 100 degree change in temp.

Putting things back together now and am confident I have all the water out of the system, carbs are clean, all looks good except this, before I hooked up the fuel lines to the carbs I put fresh gas in the tank and cranked the engine (elec start) to run fuel threw the pump to get any water out of it and noticed that only one side will pump "good" and if I kink the working line, only then will fuel come out of the other side. both lines filled OK when I started but only the one side would push fuel out the end of the line.

are there any servicable parts in the pump? and since the oil inject is conected are there any considerations with that if removed (disconected) to work on the pump?