• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Do I need to winterize before temps fall below 32?

DaveZman14q

I usually store my boat in a heated garage and winterize it right at first ice. This year, I do not have a garage spot and my boat sits in the driveway. I want to winterize it at the last possible minute but dont want to mess anything up.

I see the temps getting into the 20s in the very near future. What should I do?? Is this bad to have it sitting out there this weekend?? Thanks for the replies!

definitely want to get all the water out of the cooling system and any potential water that got into the lower unit out before it freezes.

as far as burning gas out of the carbs, stabilizing fuel, fogging cylinders, etc, I wouldn't think that matters.

Just drain the lower unit and put new oil in it. If it comes out without water or creamy white you are good. If you have to use the boat again after the oil change just take the drain screw out and see if water comes out or oil. Oil will be on top so if there is water it will come out first. If clean oil starts to drip out you are good. Lower unit will be your biggest concern for freezing.

As long as all the water is out, your good.

Run some stable in the gas, and fog if its a 2-stroke.

I always run r/v anti freeze through the bilge and aerator lines. (remember to flush it before hitting a lake again!).

Drain and change the lower unit.

Or....the easy way.

Check the lower unit now by just cracking the lower screw enough to see some oil. If it isnt white and creamy than your good.

Then run the boat until it's too cold for you to run the boat.

Outboards are self draining in terms of the water in the cooling passages and I have never heard of a cracked block from freezing water in an outboard. Just cycle the boat through a tilt/trim cycle once after each use so it can drain properly.

Or....the easy way.

Check the lower unit now by just cracking the lower screw enough to see some oil. If it isnt white and creamy than your good.

Then run the boat until it's too cold for you to run the boat.

Outboards are self draining in terms of the water in the cooling passages and I have never heard of a cracked block from freezing water in an outboard. Just cycle the boat through a tilt/trim cycle once after each use so it can drain properly.

I will go one step farther and change out my lower unit grease/oil at this time then I am ready for the spring.

I also use my boat late into the duck hunting season and have fished the river in Red Wing in Dec and Jan and have never worried about cracking the block due to water like WWG said do it the easy way.