• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cooling with little or no snow

Stiff

I just bought a liquid cooled sled and my only concern is taking it out on a wind blown lake with no snow. I've been told that you need to get some snow or ice shavings on the cooling system (for effective cooling) and slides (for lubrication).

I thought I saw some comments on here last year about this subject but now I can't find the thread.
Some guys had suggested putting a bolt through the back of each ski in order to kick up some shavings. Someone else posted a link to an after market attachment that was designed to do the same thing, but was also made so that you could lift it off the ice if you wanted (for loading on the trailer and such). Any advice on the subject?

Stiff

You don't have to worry about the cooling part. They do make a scrapper for the skis but I've never felt the need for them and running carbides throws up a bit of shavings.
As long as you make an effort to hit a snow patch once and a while but most importantly keep a proper track tension. A track thats to tight will burn the leading edge of your slides.

Stiff,
It's not the cooling that the scratchers are made for, they are for putting snow/ice shavings on your hyfax. The air swirling inside the tunnel (remember that big, heavy rubber thing spinning inside?) will cool the engine on days well above freezing. On some sleds there are heat exchangers on the running boards and in all cases the aluminum chassis is a heat sink. Like ST said hit some snow or puddles now and then to lubricate the track's slides or hyfax, or it can lock up on you or at least wear prematurely. Have fun on your new ride!

Kevin

Stiff,
I run a studded track. This creats plenty of ice chips to lube your slides plus it gives you GREAT traction on bare ice. I run my sled on the ice the whole season till it starts letting loose of shore and have had no problems. I do use a little caution, however, if it gets warmer than 50 degrees.