• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1999 Jeep grand cherokee tire questions

I have a 1999 Jeep and my son drives it. It calls for 225-75-16in. tires. Well he needed tires and found a set of 2 245-75-16 just like new and put them on. The problem is that after he drives it a block or so it is like the tires are grabbing and you are slamming on the brakes making them squeal in the back with new tires on the front. Then we put the new tires on the back and it seems like the front and sometimes the back or maybe it is still the back is still grabbing?,, who knows, but still doing it.Does a guy have to change all 4 to correct this seeing how it is 4 wheel drive or do I have other issues. Further note, I didnt have this problem until I changed the tires. I checked rearend grease and was a pint low but still does it after I filled it. thanks..

I would like to elaborate some more.

Picture this: large tires on the front axial, small tires on the rear. You drive the vehicle forward, the small tires have to spin faster at a said speed than the rear because of the size difference. Now you lock the front and rear axial together and drive them at one speed. Something has to give to make up for the diameter difference, and it is usually is expensive.

does this make cents?

In reply to the post's. Thanks guy's.. Hey, one other thing. I put on the new 245's and when I drive it it sounds like the tires are rubbing. Any thoughts on this. AND NO THEY ARE NOT touching any where around the wheel well's. I have eliminated that already. Thanks again..

Still struggling on this tire thing. I drive it and it sounds like the tires are rubbing. Had problems early with 2 diffe4rent tire sizes and the rearend locking up? or whatever. Just cant get this bug worked out. Can it be that I did something to the drive train? Thanks

Jack that thing up and spin the tires with your hand...or if you have someone else with you, have them in the driver seat then get it rolling on the ground (not started) and walk along side it listening for the noise.

you'll find the issue or at least have a good idea where it's coming from or not coming from

I have all the same tire size on it now. That's what I dont understand, why its making the noise. It didnt make it before and I went from a 225-16 to all 245-16. Just puzzle's me to no end. Just need idea's. I will try to find 4 jack stands and try that once and let you guys know. Need other idea's though. Thanks

Are all 4 tires the same brand? You would be surpised on how the same size, but different brands can be a 1/2 inch different, and with the AWD Jeeps, thats all it would take.

How long did you drive around with the different sized tires? There maybe some damage already done.

Test drove it around the block a couple times and all the tires are the same brand and size. Could a rearend make it sound like something rubbing? I just am at a stand still on his Jeep. I need MY PICKUP BACK!! Thanks again..