• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need a little help/suggestions

gunnr

I've got a Evinrude E60TTLERV (1994 60hp)that I can't get to stay running. I ran it two weeks in MN and it ran fine, then a week after, I went to start it and it started fine but wouldn't stay running. It's got an electric solenoid primer and if I keep hitting that as it starts to die, it'll keep running but if not, it dies. It had the VRO but that was taken out and replaced with the old diaphram fuel pump. Just wondering if it's a carb problem or fuel pump. Don't think it's electrical because it runs OK if I keep hitting the primer. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Well its no doubt a fuel problem.

Because it ran fine not all that long ago and now wont, Id allllmost rule out a restriction as Id find it hard to believe all 3 carbs have the same restricted main jet. I also wouldnt suspect good fuel gone bad. However, is there any chance you got water in the gas?

I had thought about water in the gas, but the same tank, hose, fuel, etc. was used on a 6hp and it ran fine. Also, I can keep the motor running if I keep hitting the primer solenoid when it starts to die. Another thing I just thought of, the 6hp is a 1967 fisherman and they may be a little more tolerant of bad gas? If it was bad gas/water in it, would rebuilding the carbs fix it and if I rebuild the carbs am I going to have to remove the high speed and idle needles and then reset/adjust them. I don't have any place close to really do that. I usually use muffs and a garden hose and I think you need to have the motor under load to set those, correct?

Carburetor(s) needs cleaned or rebuilt.

When primer or choke is used to keep it running it means motor is starving for fuel. Usually a good jet and float cleanup and adjustment will fix it, depending on the deposits.

Thanks all for the input, I really appreciate it. I know it's a fuel problem (not getting gas from the carbs). But like boatfixer said, I have a hard time believing all 3 carbs could be messed up when it was running fine a week and a half before. It's got good compression, spark, and the fuel pumps diaphram isn't bad and is pumping fuel. I've got carb kits on the way and gonna do them...just can't understand why w/3 carbs the motor wouldn't run at all. I would think it would run just not very well if the carbs were fouled. BTW, I didn't put a vacuum tester on the crankcase, but pulled the output line on the fuel pump and it was pumping fuel so I'm assuming the crankshaft seals and reed valves are good... anyway, thanks for the help and I'll let you know how it turns out.

If your using a remote tank intended for your 6 hp outboard the dia of the fuel line is probably too small. Could also be that your sucking air somewhere in that fuel line.

The fuel pump you installed. Was size is it, is it large enough for your outboard?

Also check the impulse line connections at the crank and fuel pump.

Couple possibilities that occurred to me.

1. There is that little bowl with a screen type filter on the side of the motor under the cowl. Did you check that? Was there crud in it?

2. You could have gotten some bad gas or something stirred up crud in the tank and it took out all three carbs at the same time. Try pumping out some fuel from the bottom of the tank into a clear container, let it stand a while, and see what it looks like. My neighbor at the lake had a similar problem and the gas was sort of orange or tan and separated upon standing. He didn't use his boat much, and the gas in the tank went bad and had water. Water in the float bowls messes them up. Primer might still provide gas.

Anyway, that's my thought.

Just thought I'd post an update. I rebuilt all three carbs and motor is running fine again. When I tore the carbs apart, each one had a needle that wouldn't unseat when the float dropped and two had an obstructed passage under the welch plug. Anyway, thanks for the replys and help.