• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Appliance guy HELP!!!

pheasantpro10

I need help I have a kenmore range and the bottom heat element stays on and it's shut off. I had to turn off the breaker to get it to turn off. When I put it on broil it goes off but as soon as I turn that off it comes back on with the oven off I don't get it. I just don't want my house to burn down! Hope someone can help thank you very much..... I forgot to say that it doesn't stop at 270 degrees it keeps getting hotter thanks.

This happened 2 years ago to my Kenmore range. The clock/controller unit was the culprit. It’s an expensive part and I got a new face plate as well. Ended up getting them through mel-co on the bay site. Around $150-160 total and some local places wanted closer to $200 or more. It’s easy to replace but when a whole new oven of the same caliber is closer to $400 it’s a tough choice whether to fix or replace. It lasted this long so I am happy.

It's scary when it happens. I remember smelling something burning up so I check on the oven and it's on full blast and it won't shut off for anything.

Stuck contactor in the clocktimer/oven control board. Depending on the model it is an easy fix. Check all over online for one if you go through Sears your looking $150-200 for the part. That is if it is the simple oven control only on the board. Check warranty info on back of owners manual maybe under warranty 5-10 yrs never know.

Hated these calls when doing this for national appliance repair corp. Telling somone the fix costs as much as a new appliance then have to charge them a service call.

Thanks for the replies guys I had the back off and unhooked all the wires and tapped on all the little black boxes and tried it again and now it works fine. Now I don't know what to do we shut the breaker off before we leave the house and at night. I think we'll just save for a new one I just don't trust it anymore it's probably close to 10 years old. I sure like how every problem someone has there is always someone who can help out thanks again!!

It looks like Kenmore uses board mounted relays, so changing one out is a little more involved. Replacing the entire board would be the simplest solution. And it sounds like this is a common issue with some Kenmore stoves.

Unless there is something going on in the circuit board that is turning the stove on at random, I don't see an issue with it. Relays can be weird and stick closed, and once you break it lose it may never do it again, do it randomly, or every time it it gets used. At this point I'd call it fixed, but keeping a close eye on it is a good idea.