• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Is carpet the best thing to put on a fish house floor?

heyguy

Upside- Carpet keeps heat in better and is just more comfortable feeling on your feet if it's dry. Carpet also stops the floor from being slippery.

Downside- Carpet gets wet. If your heat/vents can't dry it out it's rather uncomfortable. It can also get that "Fishy smell" in it if you're doing things right. Myself, I say it's a fish house and should smell like fish and stale beer.

It's really your call but I like having carpet in my shack.

Carpet does indeed hold in heat a little better. Like Eric said it does get wet and smelly over the years though. If you do decide on the carpet be sure to get the loopless stuff, like in the boat. It makes it much easier to get hooks out wink

We went with a soft linoleum and rugs. Fairly slip proof when wet. We can dry up floor very easily at any time while on the lake and wash rugs after every trip. No fish smell in this shack after 3 years of use. Bed liner would be another option but wouldn't have matched the rest of the interior for us.

I installed 2'x2 foam interlocking 1/2" foam fatigue flooring tiles last season which worked very well. Added warmth and comfort, dries quickly and does not snag fish hooks like carpet. They are inexpensive and can be installed with a spray adhesive compatible with foam or double sides carpet tape. It was a good improvement over the non-skid painted floor I previously had.

I have a wheel house, I would not put carpet in it!! I put 2 coats of enamel on it. (Make sure it dryes good before the 2nd coat) Then i put rugs down. That way I can wash them, or change them out at night so you dont have a wet floor. (When you get as old as me you have to get up and pee a lot. You will appericate not getting your feet wet) Just Saying!!

I installed 2'x2 foam interlocking 1/2" foam fatigue flooring tiles last season which worked very well. Added warmth and comfort, dries quickly and does not snag fish hooks like carpet. They are inexpensive and can be installed with a spray adhesive compatible with foam or double sides carpet tape. It was a good improvement over the non-skid painted floor I previously had.

do you recall where you got the foam squares?

I put the foam tiles in my skid house. They work well. Got them at Fleet farm or menards has them also.

Cut them a little short for expansion as they will expand and contract when heated. I never glued mine down. I just take them out at the end of the season and spray them off, then let the floor stay open all summer to dry out any moisture that may have gotten in there during the hardwater season.

Downsides, they do let some water down between the mats eventually and you'll get some moisture between the foam and the wood floor. They also can dent or cut if you use a chair with sharp feet. Not really a big deal, but they won't look new after that happens.

Overall, easy and cheap alternative to insulating the floor and adding some other type of flooring.

I put carpet in mine and change it out ever 3-4yrs. I also have a wood stove in mine and the floor in almost never wet. Most of the time my son doesn't even where shoe's because the floor is so dry. The way I look at it is that any frre carpet is fine with me!