• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

problems

minneman

while putting the 240th mi. on my 02 panther, it quits,like someone hit the kill switch. full of gas/oil, theres good spark, plugs looked good/tan-brown,but not wet. fuel in lines to the carbs. im stumped.

I know there's a few things that it could be but if I could think of them I wouldnt need to right this.
still under waranty, but thought id ask.Thanks for your input!

oh yea and bashers.. if I wanted to buy a sled such as you own, I wouldnt have bought this one.

bummer!
so the sled still dosen't work?
i would get a compression test done to it because it could be blown up.(but that's probubley not it)
it sounds like an electrical problem so
bring it to the dealer and see what they think since it is under warranty

sounds like some safty switch has malfunctioned. if you have spark, you have GOOD gas, and you stored it right last year, it should run. if you didn't store it right, meaning fogging the cylinders, and treating and running the gas out, you more than likely have a carburator problem. take your carbs off, and take them apart, and let them soke in solvent, blow them out, to make sure they are clean, at this time its perfect to put in new main jets, they only cost a few bucks, and always go two sizes less than whats recremended. put it back together, and I bet it runs like a champ. the main jets, are the little brass hex stock inserts on the very bottom of the carb, just inside that bottom cap.

Myself I think its fuel related, there is spark, I think a faulty switch or the like would stop spark..?
I did all the summerizing, and even ran it a couple times in the summer long enough to warm the exhaust, b4 using it this winter I siphoned all gas out and put in fresh gas, also it ran like a top for the 20 miles ive used it this winter, its in the shop now, guess Ill find out.

I got word today that there is no compression in one of the cyl. they dont no why yet, sounds like I have to wait till after the first of the year as CAT shuts down from xmas eve till day after newyears. so no parts, why not givem a week off in july??
Any of you experts have an idea on what might have caused this?

If you have no compression and the engine is spinning you probably have a hole in the piston. This is caused by the fuel/air mixture going too lean, the combustion temp rising as a result and then the piston top melting. You probably have something plugging the main jet in the carb that feeds that cylinder that is restricting fuel flow.

Did you take the carbs off, empty the old gas, and pull and check the mains before starting it up this year? Often a glob of old fuel or other junk is in the carb bowl and plugs the hole in the main jet. That is usually what causes the failure that you described.