• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where to this winter?

Jim Hudson

Anyone going to be putting a line through a bucket list destination this winter? Or, are you sticking around the fort to put the hurt on the fish again?

Myself, hoping to fish some new water, maybe in the western states. I am a Lake Trout junkie (ie why I love to guide for them here on Lake Superior) and want to experience some big macs from the west.

Looked into it a little last year, and that yellow bass gig that Kevin Paul is running south of the border on Clear Lake in Iowa really interests me. I have fishing ADD so it looks like it is right up my alley wink Thats the beauty of this though, there is something for everyone out there. Just got to prioritize to save a few bucks, bank some bonus points with the Mrs. during the fall.....and head on out!!!

No special trips planned so far, but I've got my eye on a few panfish holes up in northern MN that are a bit under the radar. Plus, if the bite this year is anything close to like the bite was last year on Mille Lacs, it'll be a "bucket list" trip just about every weekend. smile

Looked into it a little last year, and that yellow bass gig that Kevin Paul is running south of the border on Clear Lake in Iowa really interests me. I have fishing ADD so it looks like it is right up my alley wink Thats the beauty of this though, there is something for everyone out there. Just got to prioritize to save a few bucks, bank some bonus points with the Mrs. during the fall.....and head on out!!!

Meke sure not to drive past West Okoboji without insisting that Kevan take you out on one of its bays to sight-fish for some of its world famous dinner-plate sized bluegills. ;-) That's one of the best cures for fishing ADD that I know of.

-Rod Woten

Anyone going to be putting a line through a bucket list destination this winter? Or, are you sticking around the fort to put the hurt on the fish again?

Myself, hoping to fish some new water, maybe in the western states. I am a Lake Trout junkie (ie why I love to guide for them here on Lake Superior) and want to experience some big macs from the west.

My wife is from Ashland and I went to college at Northland but have never been Laker fishing on the ice. I had it on my bucket list to hire you to take my son and I out to catch a few last winter but it didn't work out. Hopefully this winter we can get back up there and hire you to put us on some big ones.

Quote:
-Rod Woten

Coldwater Guide Service

Specializing in the frozen lakes of Northwest Iowa and the trout streams of Northeast Iowa

http://www.coldwaterguideservice.com

515-491-5712

While not exactly ice fishing, that is something that also looks pretty cool to me. Think a Nov/March trip would be a nice way to bridge the "gap". What is the bite like during those times? The season is still open? Fished for trout this spring and it was a blast! Those little critters fight like the dickens and really humbled me at times by just completely blowing off my newbster presentations ......then would make me look like a genius and smash anything thrown at them......Good times!

While not exactly ice fishing, that is something that also looks pretty cool to me. Think a Nov/March trip would be a nice way to bridge the "gap". What is the bite like during those times? The season is still open? Fished for trout this spring and it was a blast! Those little critters fight like the dickens and really humbled me at times by just completely blowing off my newbster presentations ......then would make me look like a genius and smash anything thrown at them......Good times!

Spring and fall are my 2 favorite times to hit the trout streams. Fortunately in Iowa, we have a year-round open season, so even if I get some "free time" during the hardwater season (wich is pretty rare), I can go get my trout fix. Since the streams are all spring fed, they mantain a constant temperature and don't ice over. Pretty much from the time the lakes ice out until Early June, the insect hatches slowly crescendo, exploding at their peak in late May/early June. Once the hatches have slowed to almost nill, the late summer/early fall bite is pretty well streamers below the surface and terrestrials on the surface. Both of which can yield the largest fish of the year. Even though I catch trout on nymphs year-round, late fall right up through ice out is the time for drifing nymphs below the surface. Winter is also the time to slow down, target holdover fish and downsize surface presentation to very tiny (size 18 and smaller)caddis and midge imitations as well as tiny mayfly imitations like an Adams. One of my favorite winter time presentations is to imitate a cluster of midges with a small Griffiths Gnat.

Thanks for the info Rod! You seem to be a walking fishpedia. Sorry about the diversion. To bring it back.... I have a few stocked bow lakes around me and if anyone wants any info on where and how to Ice fish for them......just let me know.

LOL! hehe. Yeah....sorry 'bout that. I'm almost as passionate about my fly fishing as I am about my ice fishing. blush

-Rod