• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Couple of Questions

gamberc

First off we all know the ice is just around the corner laugh. With that being said I do have few questions. Im recently new to the whole permy thing. I purchase a brand new Ice Castle last year. I used it all last season and absoutley love it. However few things that chap my but was the massive amount of mess it was to drill holes. Expescially with an gas auger (you about pass out from fumes. I do have catch cover slush bucket but had some troubles getting it to function right. Do you guys guys put the bucket on he large 16 inc house holes or do you throw in the hole sleeves to get the ice to auger up. When I put the slush bucket on the holes sleeves it seems like it wouldnt fit just right. I dont have the actual catchcovr sleeves just some ones i bought from runnings. Does this make a difference.

Also thinking about buying something for the house that isnt going to choke me out. Im debating electric or propane. Just curious how everyone likes Jiffs propane auger and if theyve had any issues with it so far.

Jiffy propane auger shaft spins fast. I think Jiffy's in general spin much faster than some of the others. Mine threw ice everywhere. Pretty fun when you are on a wide open lake, not so much in the perm. I ended up returning mine after it wouldn't start on my second or third outing with it. It was also very heavy.

A lot of guys will lower the house almost all the way to the ice, drill holes then finish dropping it. Let the ice and slush go out under the house. I've never used a slush bucket, so I can't comment there. My permie is a skid house so I just auger and scoop. I have pretty big hole boxes though so they do a good job of keeping ice in them and off the floor.

Gamberc, there are two things I've done to keep ice shavings from flying all over the house. First, only lower the house about half way and then drill. This keeps all the shavings below the house. If the ice is really thick I've had to use one or two extensions. Second, I've also stopped the house on the spot and not lowered it. Open catch covers and mark the holes. Pull the house forward and go outside and drill holes. Back up the house and drop it. You really need two guys to do this because you need a guy in the house to tell the driver the holes are lined up.

As far as augers go, take a look at the new Honda powered four stroke from Strikemaster. I have a four stroke and it will not fill the house with smoke and fumes.

This will sound real redneck but I have the Honda GX35 (same motor SM is using) on my brush saw so yesterday I ran it wide open for about 1 minute with the door and windows open in my wheel house to see how the fumes would be and it wasn't bad, very doable. My house is in my grage right now so out on a lake with a slight breeze would even be better.

I am new to HSO. I have a 2007 20' ice castle. what I have found that works great is drill your holes before you drop it down to the ice. I use a 4x6 board for block.The hole sleeves fit great by insulating with ice chips from drilling. Everyone that I know with a wheelhouse uses this idea. Jiffy lectric 8"works great.NO FUMES

For what it's worth, I'm pretty (ok, very) unhappy with our electric auger. Works great for a few holes, don't get me wrong, but I can't get many holes out of it before the battery is dead. If you're only going to be punching holes in the permy, the electric will work beautifully. if you want to go out and punch a bunch of holes, I'd recommend something, anything, else. Just my .02.