• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

deer shack map

T_arola

Got a new addition for our deer shack....a custom map of our hunting property. At the game fair, I found these young guys that make custom maps with a aerial photos. We laminated the map so we can draw where our deer stands and trails are....pretty slick. The place I got it from was northwoods mapping in Bemidji.

I bought a map for my father-in-law of his hunting farm a few years ago and had it laminated. It's now one of our favorite Deer Opener Eve traditions to get the map out, bust out the dry erase markers, and start drawing out every scrape, rub, trail, and stand on the farm!

Just thinking about that map is getting me fired up for fall! By the way, we're officially less than 2 months from MN Deer Opener!

For those of you that have bought custome maps, how "custom" were they? Did you just pick the location, or did you go back and forth with the person making it about what you wanted shown? How big was the map? Did they just provide digital files, or a paper map, or was it laminated when you got it? If you don't mind saying, how much did it cost you? And for those of you thinking about this kind of thing, what would you be looking for as far as features on this kind of map, and what would you feel is a fair price for them?

Full disclosure: I do this kind of thing for a living as well, so I'm curious.

I paid $50 for a 24" x 36" map and then I had someone laminate the map for $9. I think they laminate also. I got exactly the area I wanted with the name of our "Rack Shack" on the title. I had them put a star where our deer shack is. The map detail is great....

The guys are very easy to work with and seemed very knowledgeable about the mapping. They have a HSOforum mentioned in the above post.

That's a pretty reasonable price for something without too much customization. After looking at their HSOforum, I think they have a pretty decent product. I do stuff like this for the places that we hunt.

The "Now and Then" maps are a pretty cool idea. I knew about the dataset, but for some reason didn't ever think to incorporate it into maps for people. For something that's meant more as a wall-hanger than as a hunting tool, I do like adding photos the client has provided of people enjoying the property that's being mapped.

Thanks guys for the comments..... A customer told us that we are on this forum. We are a new company that focuses on custom hunting and lake maps. Laminating the maps has been a popular option, or some guys just buy a cheap frame and draw on top of the plastic. I agree that making your own maps can be fun, but not many people can print on 24" x 36" paper or laminate.

Again, thanks for the positive feedback!

Scott

Northwoods Mapping

Bemidji, MN

www.hotspotoutdoors.com/contact/contact-us-outdoor-marketing/