• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Propane Tanks Too Old?

MN

Propane tanks are pressure vessels, and like any pressure vessel, they need to be tested every 10-12 yrs. Welding, SCUBA and other pressurized gas tanks have date codes. After so many years, they have to be pressure tested for safety. Propane is not an exception. Your station did it right.

Fire extinguishers are the same way. You'll find a date stamped at the bottom of each one. I believe those are every 5 or 6 years though.

Just had that happen to me.Out near willmar at Kandiyohi power coop.The girl said she would fill my grill tank BUT next time I need one of the guys who is certified to recertify the tank.She said its a visual inspection and a paper tag will be attached to the tank that will be good for 5??-7?? years.Then a pressure test will be a must after that time expires and then the tank will get a stamp in its collar (stamped in the metal).

The issue is not the type of valve on the tank, but the age of the tank itself. Even a tank with a retrofitted new style valve can be denied because of the age of the tank. You can call a welding supply company like Oxygen Service Company and ask them if they do it, or if they can suggest a place. You may find that hydro testing the tank may cost more than the price of a new one.

All one has to do is take it to a propane dealer and have them re certify the tank.

If the bottom ring is not all beat up, tank not all rusted up and no dents in the tank, they should re certify it. We use to stamp a new date on the tanks after they were checked.

Do yourself a favor, if the bottom ring and tank is not all dented up then sand the tank down and put a new coat of white paint on it. If you have dents in the tankl or the bottom ring is broken or dented badly, do yourself a favor and throw it away.

If it looks good, no need for the paint but if there is rust, you will more than likely be asked to sand and paint it.

Harvey has got it right.

All tanks need to be decertified after 12 years. After that they get recertified, with a date stamped into the metal collar, every five years.

A tank can be denied for to rusty, to beat up, broken ring, or the wrong color as well.

I have filled tanks that where manufactured in the 60's that where properly certified and updated with the new valves.

Any propane jobber will recertify a tank. Suburban propane or lakes gas and I think some r.v. Dealers do this as well.

As an aside, when the old man at the propane shack was filling up my grill tank, he ripped the plastic Rhino wrapper off and pointed to the rust behind it. He stated that those plastic wraps cause tanks to rust. I haven't verified this information but it seemed logical

He would be correct.

If you read the fine print on those wraps it used to say property of so and so do not refill return to such and such. I would make the customer remove the plastic wrap, that way I was just filling a regular everyday tank. wink

Just to let you know. I ended up bringing my tanks to Quality Propane in Burnsville. 2- 5lb tanks, re-certified for 5 years and filled - $16.

Seems like a great deal to me.

MN