• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

muskie reels....

The EJ will burn < 10s pretty well. 10s are a bit of work, but the reel seems capable. I have an EJ paired with my sling blade and I use it for 10s and smaller. I prefer smaller though. The only other reel in that range (below actually) that will effectively BURN blades would be a Saltist. But IMO it's not smooth casting. I switched from a Saltist 20 to my 300 EJ on the SB and am happy.

I have felt the same frustration you are right now until I bought an Abu 7000. You can try the 400 Calcutta and such but you will burn them out throwing big jerkbaits and big bucktails. For bucktails get the 7000 with a 5:3 gear ratio and for jerkbaits you could go with the 5:3 or the 4:3 it would be a personal choice between the two. These reals have more power a bigger drag and I have been going 3 ½ years strong without issue. I would go through 2 to 3 6500 size reels a summer before I made the change. Once you get used to the weight of the 7000 you will not want to fish with a smaller reel again.

I currently have a Saltist LW 20, recently sold an LW 30 and nonLW 30th. I rarely use the big round reels anymore.

I picked up a Abu Toro 60 winch with an extra set of 5.4 gears last fall and bought a Shimano Curado 300ej earlier this year. I have my Curado 300ej paired on a Musky Mayhem Avio 9' H and this is probably my all time favorite setup so far, it's doesn't burn 10's, but it doesn't struggle with them either, it can get the mag 8's and down going pretty good, and works real nice for after dark slow rolling 12's and 13's.

Curado 300ej + Avio rod = satisfied angler (me)

Picked up a Curado 300EJ this year and am in love with it. I have a Luna,TE's, Trinidad 14's and other 300's and have to say that this is probably the best all around reel I've found. They put stronger, taller gears in a reel that fits in the palm of your hand. Give one a try and I think you'll like it. Otherwise I'll buy it off you wink

Picked up a Curado 300EJ this year and am in love with it. I have a Luna,TE's, Trinidad 14's and other 300's and have to say that this is probably the best all around reel I've found. They put stronger, taller gears in a reel that fits in the palm of your hand. Give one a try and I think you'll like it. Otherwise I'll buy it off you wink

How does this compare to the REVO Toro HS reels?? Do you put 65# test line on it?

Anyone tried out the Calcutta 400D? Thinking about picking one up before I go up north fishing this weekend...

I had just been reading about these new reals, I'm shocked they are discontinuing the 400TE (this replaces it). The few reviews I have read have been very positive - very smooth with a lot of cranking power, but no trolling clicker or non-disengaging level wind.

I absolutely love my tranx. It has speed to spare for sure when burning in blades. 13's are still tough to burn with the high speed version, I think the power/slower version may be better for that... I don't see durability being an issue with these reels.

How does this compare to the REVO Toro HS reels?? Do you put 65# test line on it?

I won't buy Abu's anymore, I've been burned waaaaaaaayyyyy too many times with their products in muskie applications. I have friends with the Toro's and when they try the Currado series they want to upgrade to them.

I have 80# on it and it seems to do fine.

Thanks for all the feedback on the line for Curado 300 ... was supprised so many go with 80#. I have 65# on my 300D and I figured the 300EJ had the same capacity - casting a hell hound, I'm guessing you would just about spool that reel with 80# smile

If I pickup a new 300EJ, I may have to give 80# a try. I do like Suffix 832, much dryer line then most, and quiet through the guides.

In the market for a new twitch bait reel...Want something that fits nicely in the palm, was thinking the Currado without the crank handle. I noticed a lot of you liked this reel but does it work well for twitch baits?