• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wheel house on Mille Lacs

FWR

Does anybody here have a wheel house on Mille Lacs that you bring back to shore when you are done using it for the weekend? Some resorts allow the wheel house to be stored on the ice near their lake access. My thought is I would not have to worry about blocking the house when I am not using. I was up this weekend looking at skid houses that are for sale when a resort owner suggested getting a big wheel house and storing it on shore when it's not in use. I would only need to buy a season pass to keep it near the access. Anybody do this?

Some resorts will let you bring them back and park on the ice in the bay or next to shore for the week.

Best to check ahead of time with said resort to make sure all will allow this.

I personally never leave mine on the lake unattended, I always bring it home after every weekend.

Just part of the trade off in life....yep, a lot cheaper and more mobile, but, you may "lose" your "good spot" when pulling off for the week.. While it is a huge lake, the right space is still a premium commodity . Certain times of the year as well as different areas of the lake can enhance or mitigate this issue. Example being , north end feeding flats are a lot easier to find space on later in the year versus the south east more structure based spots. Also, as Mule Shack mentioned, you run a risk anytime you leave your stuff up there, having said that, have never had an issue and would run the same risk with a skid house, but it is a lot more obvious you are not there with your rig sitting on the side of the road. Good luck and have fun no matter what you decide!

If you are just going to use it on mille lacs, get a skid house. I've done both, sold my wheel house and just have a skid house. A skid house will be considerably cheaper. Plus you will get more issues with vandalism, break ins etc.

I have been going up to Appeldoorns with my wheel house for the past 3 years and I until I find a good spot I always pull it to shore and leave it in a large lot that Paul keeps at the shore. This saves on gas and never had any troubles with being snowed in or damage. Appeldoorns even had a camera set up on the parking lot so I could look at my shack during the week:

full-678-23263-shackonmillelacs.jpg

Some resorts will let you bring them back and park on the ice in the bay or next to shore for the week.

Best to check ahead of time with said resort to make sure all will allow this.

Make sure the resort will allow u to park your shack "on the ice" confused

News flash: the resorts don't own the lake nor do they own the roads they plow.... They own the access and the access only 2c

News flash: the resorts don't own the lake nor do they own the roads they plow.... They own the access and the access only 2c

They don't have to let on the lake either whistle

quote=MuleShack]Some resorts will let you bring them back and park on the ice in the bay or next to shore for the week.

Best to check ahead of time with said resort to make sure all will allow this.[/quote

Yea, well they could plow your shack in when the next snow storm comes and then see how you get it out being you didn't ask to park there.

Yea, well they could plow your shack in when the next snow storm comes and then see how you get it out being you didn't ask to park there.

Then I take my business elsewhere. I won't buy a road pass, food, drinks, ect... I usually use public ramps during the winter anyway.

These resorts on Mille Lacs think they own the lake. They argue/fight about other resorts plowing roads into "their" roads. I've seen them plow over there competitors roads. If someone plows a road from a public access they destroy it. I refuse to support these childish acts 2c

Its a great idea to keep the peace with the resort owners as they do control the access to the lake for most of the people in the winter.

Its understandable that resorts get upset with other for plowing thru roads, using roads that they plow and not paying for access to them or all the other stuff that can go on because these people spend alot of time getting ready for winter not to mention the money they stick into the plow rigs so its easier for everyone to access the lake.

I have spent time working on plow equipment to plow those roads and its a full time battle plus the roads still have to be plowed.

The resorts may not own the lake but they are the best way to access it in the winter. You can't always trust the public access to be plowed and they may be plowed to get out on the lake but if the wind kicks up they may be drifted in went you try to get off the lake. It makes for a really not so fun experience digging your way back to shore.

it is in your best intrest to ask the resorts if you can park your house in front of there resort it will be better for you and for the experience you may want to have on the lake the next time you head out to go fish.

personally I would ask the resorts for permission to park my house in front of there resort and would most likely offer themn something for MY convenience.

Its shows good sportsmenship.

I have to agree with everyone on here about paying a couple bucks to use the resorts access. I personally was very amazed at all the access points on Mileacs last season. Not only that but plowed roads! Sorry I don't get up much to the big lakes. I understand also the principle of should not "having to pay" to store something on a public lake. But.....When you figure in the taxes that these resorts have to pay to have the lake access and the plowing of the access, to me personally it is worth it.

But if you own a wheelhouse I would just wheel her home and back to the lake.

Then I take my business elsewhere. I won't buy a road pass, food, drinks, ect... I usually use public ramps during the winter anyway.

These resorts on Mille Lacs think they own the lake. They argue/fight about other resorts plowing roads into "their" roads. I've seen them plow over there competitors roads. If someone plows a road from a public access they destroy it. I refuse to support these childish acts 2c

You park the wheel house at the shore line of the business for protection from theft and for it to be out of the drifting while your not there. If they are going to plow out an area in the bay so their "customers" can park their rigs for the week, then maybe you dont need to ask permission as long as everyone else is doing it. But just hauling it up to shore on any resort with out asking may not be a great idea.