• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pressure Cooker? Should I do it?

The back page of todays Fleet Farm ad got me thinking. There is this Presto 23 Qt Aluminum Pressure Canner & Cooker going for 78 Bucks. I've been wanting to learn more about canning, especially with prime time upon us. But I've also been wanting to learn more about pressure cooking meals like corned beef & cabbage.

So, like most of us, I currently cook with a smoker, grill, crock pot & oven. Of course there is the microwave for defrosting and reheating. Do I really need a Pressure Cooker? Or will it just join forces with the George Foreman, Hot Dog Rotiserre Machine, the cheap pizza oven, or any other gadget I've purchaed over the years - only to find itself sitting on the shelve down in the basement cause I never use it.

What do you think? Should a pressure cooker be part of the arsenal? If so, what do you make? Any good recipes?

Well, what I am learning more, is a pressure cooker helps ensure bacterial elimination.

I put a post up about canning venison a couple weeks ago, and pretty simple tips in there on why to use a pressure cooker....

I am in the market for one and thanks for the tip on the sale! smile

Yes, do it!

We use ours a fair amount and should use it more!

Canned venison turns out great. The corned beef I did this spring was the best we ever had. Last summer we bought a bunch of corn when it was peak flavor season and pressure canned alot. It turned out way better than anything you could buy. Used it all fall, winter, and spring. Almost time to make it again.

Next I want to cook some ribs about 90% of the way in the pressure canner than finnish on the grill, how could it be bad... grin

Ya, I hear ya on the ribs. There are times you just don't have time to slow cook em. I would think bone in country style ribs would be great as well this way. I have my Mom's ketchup, brown sugar, onion,ground mustard, ect barbacue/gravy recipes that is awesome with country styles and smashed taters.

It all depends on what you would want to do with one. I have only canned deer meat with mine but you can do a lot of other stuff to. I did some tomatoes the other day but that was with a hot water bath canner that I bought for cheap at walmart.

I have 2 old All American canners that are heavy duty. One was in the family forever and the other one I lucked out and bought at a yard sale for a couple bucks. Im sure the one at FF will do the job but they are a lot lighter duty and have a gasket seal to deal with. I just looked on hsolist and there are a lot of them on there as well as some better ones. I think this is one of those things you get what you pay for.

I don't can much veggies because I like them frozen, but a buddy of mine started making squirrel in a pressure cooker with some wine for the liquid and some spices he said it was the best squirrel he has ever ate. It sounds like the meat takes on the flavor in a short time and makes it super tender. I might have to spend some extra time squirrel hunting this fall and winter and do more pressure cooking.

Leaky, did you pull the trigger on a big pressure cooker?? I saw that ad too but I have two small pressure cookers and a larger pressure cooker.

Realize that you can do more with a pressure cooker besides 'canning' jars of meat and vegies. My 80 year old mother talks about her aunt using 2-3 cookers to cook up a meal for the trashers, they were time savers for them, you can cook something in a pressure cooker for 30 minutes that would take 2-3 hours in a big pot.

I use my small cookers for cooking up a whole chicken or a beef soup bone in preparation for making soup. Cook the chicken or soup bone at pressure for 30-45 minutes, let it cool, pop the top, pull the chicken or soup bone out, pick off the meat and refrigerate, cool down the broth overnight, skim off the hardened fat for the dogs, then use the broth as your soup base, combined with saved meat, you have the base for a great soup. Relize that on the beef, the fat and broth are easily seperated, the fat will be very sold, floating on the liquid while on a chicken, the fat is the yellowish layer on top of the 'jellified' broth. The jellified broth is what makes the good soup base and will melt once you put it back on the heat.

Lots of cooking you can do with a pressure canner, just need to try it.

Well, I haven't made it over there yet, but you guys are getting me convinced. Or maybe an upgrade to that particular one.

Cooking squirrel in a pressure cooker would actually be 2 firsts for me.

How mamy squirrels does it take for a quart? lol I would reccomend looking for an upgraded model on one of the popular auction websites. It will cost a little more but it will last many lifetimes and you wont have to worry about replaceing dried out gaskets. For some good information on canning safely check out the University of MN HSOforum and search canning.

I'm of those guys that when it comes to buying stuff, I don't get the cheapest (unless it's St. Louis Cut Ribs @ $1.98 lb) and don't buy the most expensive. I haven't done any looking at or reading any reviews about pressure cookers yet, so I'm sure I'll hop on to my favorite "jungle" shopping site and see what out there.

Thanks for the link!! Everything you wanted to know but were afraid to ask.

I searched All American canners and looks like a new one that holds 7 quarts are around $200. Not bad considering they last forever. Used ones are fine to if you can get one at a good price,you just have to make sure the pressure gauge works. Other than that they are pretty much indestructable. Older ones wont look as shiney but they all get that way over time.

I searched All American canners and looks like a new one that holds 7 quarts are around $200. Not bad considering they last forever. Used ones are fine to if you can get one at a good price,you just have to make sure the pressure gauge works. Other than that they are pretty much indestructable. Older ones wont look as shiney but they all get that way over time.

Thank you!

I bit the bullet about ten years ago and bought a rapid chef pressure cooker. Probably the heaviest model out there. All nickel and no gauges. Permanently set at 10 psi. It is an incredible cooker that I'm sure my grand kids will be using someday! I bought mine at a home and patio show at the convention center and got him down to $240.00. I wasn't sure I made a good deal till I started using it... Worth every penny! Fried fish and chicken, tender stew in no time, corned beef on and on...

Good luck in the new culinary venue!

Ken