• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1st trip to canada?

I am heading up to ontario next week on a fishing trip and would like some

info on the border? is it cheaper to pay duty on beer/booze or buy it on the other side? is a case or 2 of bottled water fine or do they frown on that?

The only things limited are alcohol and tobacco. You are allowed 24 cans or bottles (12 0z) of beer or 40 ounces (1.14 liters) of booze per adult. Any more than that and you are subject to duty fees. Take all the pop & water you want. A typical case of beer is around $40 at the LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario). Booze is $50+ for a liter of typical liquor, not top shelf. Hit the duty free store before you cross for the best pricing but you are limited as above.

A few weeks ago four of us went there with four fifths of vodka and 5-1/2 cases of beer. The duty was $48. Cheaper to bring it with you. Also if your catching an early fly out nothing may be open across the border.

I don't think you pay MN sales tax at the duty free shop, however you do pay duty when entering canada. They will drop off your booze before entering the bridge to cross rainy river. Be sure not to drive over like us, go through canadian customs, back through US customs, pick up booze, then back through canadian customs...LOL.

limit of 10 lb of potatoes, which is dumb to me... bottled water is fine.

Potatoes are a concern because of blight issues.

Last time I crossed the border (returning to the US), they didn't grill us on anything regarding booze, cigs, drugs, hiding immigrants, or other stuff you hear about or see on TV shows.

However we did get a good long talking to about the possible hazards of transporting certain foods across national borders. We didn't have any violations but still got a stern look for having legal produce and sure made us feel like we were breaking some unwritten rules.. not really sure what it was all about, but there it is.

Potatoes are a concern because of blight issues.

Last time I crossed the border (returning to the US), they didn't grill us on anything regarding booze, cigs, drugs, hiding immigrants, or other stuff you hear about or see on TV shows.

However we did get a good long talking to about the possible hazards of transporting certain foods across national borders. We didn't have any violations but still got a stern look for having legal produce and sure made us feel like we were breaking some unwritten rules.. not really sure what it was all about, but there it is.