• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thermo-Tech Windows?

Had all our windows replaced with Thermo Tech windows 4 years ago. Generally, we are very happy with them. Had an issue with a crack in the vinyl on a lg. picture window the 1st yr. we had them and the Company took care of it promptly. The only thing my wife and I do not like about the casements is how hard they lock shut or open up. It's a real struggle to get them to work. It is not the cranking devices, since they work very well. The person who installed them was told to tell us to try paraffin wax. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but need to. Otherwise they lock up tight, are nice and quiet and we are very glad we paid extra for the tint to block out more UV waves and heat. That aspect alone was, and is, a big reason we like the windows, since we took a lot of the heat out of our south facing upper level living and dining rooms. Hope the windows last a long time. Good luck with your decision. We liked the fact they were MN made and seemed to be a good value for the money. Time will tell.

IMHO the only way to really evaluate windows is to compare the technical data of the various manufacturers. Among other things, look at total unit(not just glass) "u" value(the smaller the number, the better), air infiltration, water infiltration, structural performance. It can take a while, especially if you have never done it before, but I think it's worth the time spent for such an important investment. And if a manufacturer doesn't have any test data, you have to ask yourself why.

Are you saying Thermo Tech doesn't, or?

marine_man

No, that's not what I'm saying at all. I was trying to say generally if you research a window, make sure they have test data. I don't know if Thermo Tech does or doesn't have test data or how it compares to other windows. I did see once in the past where there was no published data on a manufacturer when I was looking for vinyl replacement windows for my duplex. I'm sorry I wasn't clear.

No problem... I wanted to make sure I didn't need to read between the lines :-)

In my last house I replaced several windows with Thermotech windows.. I was happy with their performance. I replaced 3 windows on the main floor with Marvin Integrity windows, which were nice, but didn't come to match the openings I had.. I had to restructure the openings to accommodate their dimensions at the price point I was willing to spend.

Themotech on the other hand matched my opening size, and now has the option to provide the brick molding attached to the window frame, which makes installation a snap.

marine_man

I have thermo-techs in my house and im a supplier/dealer of them and various other windows. they are a very good vinyl window. I sell the Marvin Integrity also and they, like stated about will custom size. either of those two you will be very happy with. I have not run into issues of hard locking or closing casements. whatever you do stay away from the WD-40. that just attracts more dust and dirt. the wax, or a SILICONE spray lubricant works well.

Hi CROTHMEIER,

After reading your post, my wife and I decided to look further into our window hard-to-lock issue with our Thermo Tech casement windows. Glad we did, since a very nice tech was at our home today looking at them and is going to adjust them so that they will lock easier. Happy we went that route instead of smearing wax or other goop on the mechanisms. Thanks for the info. Again, other than that issue, they have been great windows. Really appreciate the low E feature this week.

Have a great Holiday!