• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Reverse problem

Gordie

I have a Merc 20hp its a 1977 thunderbolt 200

I changed the implellor and motor runs great but now it doesnt shift into reverse.

It is a tiller and the I the linkage seems to be fine.Its like the linkage is out of sink when the motor is in reverse with the handle it actually in neutral and when it in neutral it is in forwards.

I have taken it apart several times and checked it over but its always the same thing.

Everything worked great on this motor just wondering if I miss a step or something putting it back together.

Thanks for the help.

I've had some motors that need to be in a certain gear instead of N when putting back together after an impellor change even though instructions say differently. I think that's what happened to you.

I've suggested to gordie doing it in neutral because neutral is the easiest to find. Because of the way the shifting cam on the bottom end if the lower shift shaft, true fwd position is harder to find because of the way the cam can rotate. Reverse is the next easiest to find.

Thanks for the replies guys and a big thanks to Bruce for your help I have worked on it after I talked with you for about 2 hours and I havent had any luck. I have tried in every gear and it still has no reverse when shifting .

I know that there is nothing wrong with this motor amd when I originalkly took it apart it was in reverse and I must of knocked it oput of rev on the Lower unit when replacing the impeller.

I had to take a break from it for awhile as I didn't want to lose my Cool while working on it. I will go back to it later tonight and try it again.

I will post results good or bad. smirk

I will go back to it later tonight and try it again.

I will post results good or bad. smirk

No, no, no. You know at night the PBR starts to "settle in". Wait until tomorrow.

Yes reverse is the easiest. Beware the shift rod moves just barely to engage gear, it is a PITA, but you will succeed.

I have a feeling your mixing up forward and reverse.

Putting it in neutral isn't a bad idea so you won't mistake forward and reveres for each other.

I suggested putting it in gear because you can turn the prop to rotate the driveshaft to get the splines to match up in the crank.

I have tried neutral first and about three four times my guess is that it is popping into gear went I am assembling it.

I have found all three positions. My guess is that I am confusing the forward with the reverse also ST so I will keep trying until I get it.

Valve thanks and I did leave it alone last night but it wasn't due to many PBR's

I did the same thing on my merc Gordie. I have put 3 impellers in this motor and the last time something moved.

I finally took it over to the Merc dealer and had them do it. Costed me $60 and money well spent.

I will now be taking it to the dealer to have one put in every time I need one.

Not going through that again.