• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

good video camera for my bow?

One related question before I answer: have you watched much video frop bow-mounted cameras? They look really cool, right up until the shot- then the shock of the shot makes it impossible to watch the arrow/impact and the response of the animal after it's hit. To me, that's the coolest part of a video...

Just curious if you had thought of that part of it.

I did and figured the seconds after the shot were bouncy but still think the rest of the before and after would be cool. Some of these units I read about can be used on moving vehicles etc so can't be that bad?

My brother has the GoPro Hero2 and loves it. He got some excellent video of a trip he took this past Winter. He's going to try mount it on his hat (something others have done too), so he can get video of his hunts. I've heard great reviews of this camera online and I think it'd serve your purposes for what you're talking about.

I have the go pro. Great for waterfowl, grouse. Tried it with deer, and the problem I had with it was they look very far away. Had a forkhorn at 30 yards couldn't tell it was a buck. If it had zoom it would be perfect for self filming. My suggestion is get a tree mount for a camcorder. Probably not what your after, but it's what works til go pro makes a zoom.

My brother has the GoPro Hero2 .

I also have the go pro. As far as video quality goes, they are very good! Like someone else mentioned, the zoom feature and the distance away animals look is something that sets it off. I recorded a deer kill last year with this, and the shot wobbled the camera and i didnt even get the kill on video. If your duck or goose hunting, definetly a good camera for it. I wouldn't recomend it for bow hunting deer

Im going to mount my sony on a stabalizer mount this year. I think it would be great, and possibly beneficial, to get a kill shot. But id be happy just to record the bucks I dont shoot! Then I can show them to my buddies and see if they think they're as big as I say they are!..... maybe NOT a good idea! smile

Yeah im starting to think I should use my little cannon video recorder its hd and zooms. Need to find bow/gun mount if I do...considering sport-vu if anything video looks better and closer than go pro.

I'd be interested in something a little more portable as well. I film on days when I plan on being in the tree for a long time but on quick hunts, it's just not worth the hassle of packing in the mount and risking the noise/movement of setting up camera gear. One thing I started doing last year on both deer/turkey hunts is putting out a trail camera on video in front of your stand/blind. It'll record all the action you see and even provide an opportunity to get a kill on video. This year, I may just carry one in my pack and aim it at the trail I'm setup on. The Bushnell HD video w/ sound is pretty sweet!

Do a search for Wildgame Innovations™ Hi-Definition Infrared Action Camera AC5X, one of my outdoor magazines gave it a good review for the price. I'm probably going to get it before fall, just over $100 at wallyworld is the cheapest I could find. I guess the sound quality isn't the greatest, but oh well.. It also comes w/diff mounts too