• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Computer won't play videos...

Hello all,

Computer silly-me here with a problem. I can watch youtube videos and netflix movies, but other videos do not work. The audio does work, however, so I can hear what's going on, and if I move the cursor over the video, it'll flicker in and out. Mostly the video is just blank, though.

Any ideas on what's causing this?

Some more info will help. What is thee video source, what program are you using to run it, and your computer type and operating system. My problems with videos come from codecs installed in the video which software player do not recognize. I would try to download the VLC video player from cnet and see if it plays with that. There is a little bit a a learning curve with the new software but microsofts standard media player does not run dvds and such. Youtube uses flash player to run video and Netflix probably uses their own player to steam video. The standard windows media player just usually won't run much of anything other than music and pictures.VLC seems to have all the codecs already loaded as I can run movies such a Transformers and Fast and Furious with out much problem.

Thanks for the reply, Moose. I'm just trying to watch them using Internet Explorer. Sometimes ads won't work (the ones on the side of this webpage sometimes go in and out, but not all of them). I notice it mostly when I'm trying to watch fishing shows on TV. smile

I've also noticed it if a video is imbedded in someone's facebook page....I'll click on the video, and I'll hear the audio while the video remains blank.

I just experimented by trying to watch The Daily Show, and I couldn't view that either, though the sound came through loud and clear.

Sounds like you have flash but non-flash videos aren't working. The problem is often codecs or plugins. You can snag most codec packs (like mentioned, if you download VLC for free all the codecs you need come with it). You can also install the latest quicktime as that is a pretty common type of in browser video player.

Good to here it worked out Mike. These guys have helped me out of plenty computer problems and on occasion I can help out the next guy.

I run Chrome also and will never open Internet Explorer again if I do not have to.