• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Transducer mounting

Huskie

Question

17 answers to this question

Wish, not sure what you mean by that. I've temporarily mounted the entire transducer below the boat and am wondering if it will provide too much drag or force on it. Also, it could get snagged with weeds etc. The bird instructions do not show a good side view of the mounted transducer. Should I raise the transducer so only the bottom half is below the edge of the boat. I saw a diagram of one mounted like that. Might have to check a few boats in the area and see how they are mounted, thanks.

Do not install transducer on the edge of your boat. When you turn, the edge of your boat will come out of water, and you will not be able to read depth.

Keep further than 12" from prop, but within 24" and put it inbetween ribs (if any) on bottom of boat. Those ribs cause cavitation (air bubbles) and sonar cannot travel through those air bubbles.

The height of your transducer: the seam on the transducer should be the same height of the bottom of the boat. I.E. Half the transducer is above the boat, half below. This way the transducer skims across the top of the water on plane. If you have it too deep, the transducer itself will create cavitation one heck of a rooster tail and you won't get readings at high speeds. You also run the risk of removing it on a rock. wink

I have pictures i can post after noon if you'd like to see or go to BBC .com and there are lots of pictures of transducer installations on a variety of boat hulls.

Thanks thruth, I was talking about the bottom of my boat. 02 crestliner the bottom is not as flat as the newer ones, more V'ed. Is that HSOforum right? (BBC.com) If you have a picture it would be great.

Should the bottom of the transducer on a 788ci or any bird be flush with the bottom corner of the boat, a little below or a little above. Thanks.

Your mounting plate should be 1/8 inch up from the bottom of the boat and level. That means that if you mount it on the starboard side that the right hand side of the plate is 1/8 inch up. obviously with the v boat, that makes the left hand side more than an 1/8 up. The transducer will be level with the water and up to the seem on the ducer as the other member posted.

This is how I understand it.

My camera is in my car, i'll bring it in after lunch and post pictues of my transducer installation.

http://store.humminbird.com/media/document/M_XNT_ALL.pdf

http://www.facebook.com/video/...78223

http://www.bbcboards.net/humminbird-sona...n-resource.html

Better click these links fast...someone will remove them soon.

My recommendations are based off the instuctions that came with the 788ci DI. I installed mine about 1 month ago on a 04 Crestliner. Huskie did not note if it was a DI, so my recommendation could differ if he does not have the DI ducer.

I bought one but didn't use it, but it is suggested to use a transducer mounting board so you can drill as many holes as you want or reposition the transducer multiple times, without having to drill multiple into the hull.

Screw driver should scrape off marine epoxy if its soft. If you got some kind of hard epoxy, chisel.