• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cost of Ownership comparison

I didn't want to hijack Valv's thread on Volvos, so I started something new. It would be great if someone like Consumer Reports did a straight comparison of the cost of ownership for most brands....and updated it. In Valv's situation, if they were to list the Volvos blue book price, the cost of common parts (brakes, exhaust [cats], pumps, etc.), along with any measurable up-tick in labor costs typically associated with those vehicles. I'm sure that they could figure out a valuation system similar to how they come up with the Consumer Price Index. The final piece would probably measuring reliability - how often repairs are required. It sure would make the buying process easier for both new and used car buyers.

For example (stats totally made up so don't get upset at the numbers I chose below):

2005 Ford Focus

84,000 miles (7 years x 12,000 annual miles)

$10,000 Average 3rd Party Resale Cost

$1,500 Parts & Repair index (index of typical parts needed after 7 years and 84,000 miles)

2002 Honda Civic

120,000 miles (10 years x 12,000 annual miles)

$6,000 Average 3rd Party Resale Cost

$1,250 Parts & Repair index

2004 Volkswagon Jetta

96,000 miles (8 years x 12,000 annual miles)

$4,000 Average 3rd Party Resale Cost

$2,700 Parts & Repair Index

I know that Consumer Reports does ratings, but to actually give a reasonable measure for cost of ownership would be outstanding. Does somebody already do this or did I just find my calling in life?

You may have found your calling in life.

Repair costs may be tough to get the data on, tho. I can see getiing some type of ballpark average. Consumer Reports doesn't do ball park, I don't think anyway.

It would be nice to see the numbers, tho, before going car shopping.

I guess that I think the measure is cost per mile. At what point does the current cost per mile exceed the cost of replacement when using the same assumptions with the replacement in terms of cost of loan, fuel and maintenance etc. IMO I suspect that the result would end up with more than 100K miles on a vehicle before replacement made economic sense. I would also be interested in knowing the mileage at which the original owners dispose of the vehicle and a bit of historical info would be helpful on this question.