• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone done bear with a recurve?

Thats my next adventure for next yext, this year, this year Me an minni boar are gonna use a crossbow. But Im now turning to a new challene in the stick an string department with the use of a recurve, then possibly longbow. Ive got well over a year to prep so would like any infor on arrow wieght an such such mechanics. No sight on the recurve so it will be all instictive shooting an any tips there would be great, even from those who just shoot recurve for fun or or other species. Any tips would be great as it will all be absorbed an carfuly disected in my walnut. Thanks boar

One key point... ok two points counting the actual points themselves. Grizzly sticks and a long and lean broadhead. Look at blades such as the Wensel Woodman or Zwickey type head. These are a good 3:1 ratio blade that will cut in deep and the Grizzly sticks have amazed me for penetration.

Run full length arrows and the heaviest blade your bow will fling straight to get the maximum punch. Make sure your recurve/arrow combo is dialed in with good arrow flight as sideways or whipping arrows work as good as slapping them with a willow branch. Waiting for the perfect shot and having your bait placed correctly in relation to the stand or blind will hold the most value when taking a bear with stick and string.

I've never hunted bear (yet!), but I can tell you that the info Jonny P gave you regarding your set up is spot in for any archery gear designed for thick skinned/boned critters. Excellent advice and the heads he mentioned are tried and true, rock solid broadheads.

Also, as Sniper says- practice, practice, practice! See the link below, but maybe don't follow Allan's advice... wink