• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Filter ?

The only filter I own is a polarizing filter for my ultra wide lens. And the only reason for that is for darkening blue skies or removing unwanted glare for landscape shots. I just need to get somewhere that has a nice enough landscape worth shooting. frown Other than that, you are better off shooting naked. I'm with the captain - hoods can normally offer enough protection. I've read that unless you spend mega bucks, a filter will probably just degrade the image.

We have a number of posts referring to filters in the last year or so. I haven't used UV filters on any of my lenses in years. They frankly are usually a source of problems. They can create lens flare, inconsistent focus, soft images and vignetting on certain lenses. If you insist on a filter stay with Hoya or B&W, cheaper ones rarely are even constructed with glass!

Keep in mind that on a lens the front element is more like a built-in filter, to protect the soft underlying flourite element and is something that is easily replaced at a fairly low cost. You likely could replace two front elements for the price of one good filter. In my opinion a lens hood does more to protect your front element than a filter will. Carefully blowing off any dust with a Rocket Blower and then using a micro fiber cleaning cloth is all I have ever used to keep my front element clean.