• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Amsoil?

HarleyK50

Question

18 answers to this question

I'd be leary. I know of more than a few guys who have used this, mixed 100:1 as instructed, and are now looking for new boat motors, auger motors, chain saws, etc. I've used it also, both as directed at 100:1 and at 50:1 cuz I was scared to go that lean. Bad things happened, I won't get too detailed but they were bad. I learned my lesson.

Now, I'm back to the way I used to be, for a long time, and had no real motor problems. If the manufacturer says to mix 24:1, 50:1, etc, that's what I'm doing regardless of what Amsoil claims to be adequate. Motors are too expensive.

I run the Sabre in all my 2 strokes and have never had any issues with it. Going on 15 years now. Its made here in Superior so I got on their prefered customer program and it saves ya some good $. I also use Amsoil 4 stroke oil in my boat motors.

I have no ideas if this is right or wrong but I have done it for some time without any issues. I use it in all my 2 cycle stuff and no issues to date. In fact, I like it. In some cases, it runs smoother and no smoke in the exhaust.
Do yo mix it at 100:1 ?

I run the Saber about 80:1 in all my 2 cycle engines.

Been doing it for 8 years now.

It made my Leaf Blower & Ice Auger just Puurrrrrr compared to the factory recommended mixs. Everything else just smokes much less.

I do not use in an outboard engine, as I have a 4 cycle.

I'd be leary. I know of more than a few guys who have used this, mixed 100:1 as instructed, and are now looking for new boat motors, auger motors, chain saws, etc. I've used it also, both as directed at 100:1 and at 50:1 cuz I was scared to go that lean. Bad things happened, I won't get too detailed but they were bad. I learned my lesson.

Now, I'm back to the way I used to be, for a long time, and had no real motor problems. If the manufacturer says to mix 24:1, 50:1, etc, that's what I'm doing regardless of what Amsoil claims to be adequate. Motors are too expensive.

Just my 2 cents to add - but my experience has been the opposite. Most guys I know that have gone to the Amsoil mix are very happy. I started using it myself a few years ago and my ice auger for example works better now than it did new. It starts easier, runs smoother and smoke and oily exhaust is reduced to about nothing. I have also used Amsoil in my 75 merc and it has been running great.

I ran my 100hp Johnson outboard 100:1 and I had 2 pistons blow and $4,000 dollars of repairs to deal with. Talked to the Amsoil folks about their "warranty" and just got a bunch of lip service. The reason why there is little to no smoke is because you are running your engine with 1/2 less oil than it should be! No oil = no smoke. I wont use this stuff again and the people that do mix it...Mix it to your engines specs.

Soni- probably a little more like 85-1.

We use to use Amsoil in our modified dirt race car and Amsoil said it was very good and gave my son a nice sponsorship.

Well, we blew up one new motor right away and when it was takan apart by the builder, he said the connecting rods were more blue from lack of lube that any connecting rods he had ever seen in a motor. We did send a sample of the oil in to Amsoil and they tested it but would never reply on the results.

Then, we had a brand new set of rear end gears go after a couple nights with thier gear oil. They did not have much to say about that either.

My son did contact them before we went with the deal checking how other racers faired with thier products and they said great.

I like thier small engine oil but after that, forget it and the real sad part was even after they asked for the samples from the oil, they would not say one word about the testing and what they believed happened. probably didn't want to say it was the oil.

I have been using it for over 10 years know without any problems. I mix around 70 to 1. Alot of problem small motors have is in the gas it has a shelf life of less then a month. It is it is worth 1$ or 2$ to puy the non-oxy fuel it has no ethenal in it.

My neighbors ice auger was not running very good we dumped out his gas put mine in. after 5or 6 holes it was runing great.

some of the problems are in the carbs they are not adjustable they call it California emissions some motors in minnesota needs more gas.

Dan

I am not sure if you are supposed to mix it 100:1 for a 100HP are you?

I used their special outboard engine oil - and mine is oil injected so I just fill up the oil reservoir and have had absolutely no issues.

I ran my 100hp Johnson outboard 100:1 and I had 2 pistons blow and $4,000 dollars of repairs to deal with. Talked to the Amsoil folks about their "warranty" and just got a bunch of lip service. The reason why there is little to no smoke is because you are running your engine with 1/2 less oil than it should be! No oil = no smoke. I wont use this stuff again and the people that do mix it...Mix it to your engines specs.

You are not supposed to run 100:1 in liquid cooled motors says Amsoil.

Your oil and mixing ratio most likely didn't have anything to do with the motor grenading. Cheap oil and gas cause carbon builup and unless you are running a decarb in your motor its just a matter of time. You did use a decarb such as omc engine tuner right? Good luck

"Saber Professional also works well in motorcycles, snowmobiles, ATVs, jet boats and personal watercraft mixed 100:1". When I talked to the people from amsoil they said it works great in outboards. I don't know where you got your info about not using for liquid cooled engines. Stick with factory brand 2 cycle mix and play it safe.

The only time I deviate from the engine manufacture oil mixing specs is on my ice auger, the auger was dripping oil from the muffler and leveling oil stripes on the walls of my permanent house.

I switched to amsoil on my mix outboard to reduce smoke when back trolling; it cut the smoke by 50%. I can’t afford to take a chance on losing a outboard. They are 2 stroke engines smoke is the nature of the beast.

"Saber Professional also works well in motorcycles, snowmobiles, ATVs, jet boats and personal watercraft mixed 100:1". When I talked to the people from amsoil they said it works great in outboards. I don't know where you got your info about not using for liquid cooled engines. Stick with factory brand 2 cycle mix and play it safe.

hmmmm waddya know. I though sabre was for small engines only.