• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fenwick Elitetech Vs St Criox Avid Series

I am looking for buying an Fenwick Elitetech or St Criox Avid series for Lindy rigging. I know it can be chevy vs ford debate but I just want know people's experience with these these two rods. Likes and dislikes about each?

I know lot of people here on HSO talk about Limit creek rods, but I can't buy those any where close to where I live and I don't want to order one online with out getting my hand on one.

Thanks for input.

I would go with the 7' St Croix Avid medium action fast tip. American made lifetime warranty with a 1000 symmetre. That being said I have never held a fenwick in my hand. I guess i never had a reason too

I own and use a 7'2" rigging fenwick elitetech. I love the rod, it is suprisingly versitile as I use it for jigging(the BEST jig rod I have ever used), throwing plastics for bass, and most of my rigging for walleye. The sensitivity is good, not gloomis good though IMO. It is very similar, to slightly more comfortable, than the st. criox rods I have had. I really like the tach cork handle it is a nice feel, mine however after 3 years is starting to crack and flake a little. I would suggest the fenwick to anyone.

I don't have an Elite Tech, but a few years ago I decided to try something different besides the other Fenwicks I already had so I bought a handful of Avids and honestly doubt I'll buy a St. Croix again.

Nothing wrong with them as far as construction and quality, but I really don't like their action when put up against comparable Fenwicks or other brands that I own or have used. There is just something about them that I don't like, but don't know if I can put my finger on exactly what it is. They just don't work for me and without a doubt I have lost more fish than I ever have after switching to the Avids. With everything else being equal it happens too much to be a coincidence and have pretty much lost all confidence in using them for live baiting duties.

To be fair, one of the Avids is a jigging rod and that seems to be fine, but the others are used for Lindy rigging or other live bait fishing and they usually end up back in the rod locker (if I even bother taking them out).

I don't think that I'm brand loyal when it comes to fishing rods and would like to believe that is apparent in my objectiveness to trying the St Croix Avids, but for me I can say with certainty that I won't be buying any more after giving them a fair test in my particular use.

As with anything, your mileage may vary and they might work just fine for you, but they don't work for me.

Lmitout - interesting now you have given me enough reason to p/u one of these Elite Tech's. Nice that people can have a difference in opinion and have it not turn into a blood bath like the lowrance and humminbird posts lol

I ended up buying Fenwick Elitetch and got really good deal on the rod at Big C in Rogers. Rod and Shimano reel were just over $200, got $30 off with a coupon, got $25 back in their store bucks. Berkley had tent outside Fenwick guy told me to stop by with receipt for free gift and they gave me nice size electric fryer (it look like good quality fryer). Like Bartman said I can also get the hoodie in rebate.

I think overall it was great deal!!

Another vote on the Elite Tech's. I love those rods - I have 3 of them (6'3, 6'6, 7'2). If you want one that has the most versitility then you might want to consider the 6'9" ML. Good for jigging & rigging.

I also have an Avid (6'8 Med xFast). Nice setup but it tends to collect dust with my preference towards the Fenwick line up. Also, I think the Elite techs will save you $40-50 wich would be nice to put towards a higher quality reel.

I've also used Fenwick's lifetime warrenty. Never a problem, since most of my rods were purchased through Joe's, I take it their and they send it in for me.

I own both rods and to tell you the truth they're both awesome. I guess when it comes to riggin' though i tend to use the 7'2'' elite tech more over my old 6'6'' ml avid. Don't get me wrong, the avid does its job day in day out i just like the extra length i get with the ET. They'll both treat you well.

Avid all the way, If your going to spend that much money buy American. If your going to buy rods made in China, you might as well buy the Gander Mountain brands. They're all made in the same Chinese sweat shop anyway.

I own several Fenwick Elite Tech rods, and a couple st croix. I love my elite tech rods, i Own two 8 foot fenwick elite tech trolling rods, i pull lead core with, and I have a couple different fenwick jigging rods, and two rods for rigging. I own some st croix rods, for jigging, though I am not as happy with the action on my st croix rods but it could just be I am used to a different feel. in honestly I really prefer my Scheels outfitter rods, over any of the other rods I use.

+1

Avid all the way, If your going to spend that much money buy American. If your going to buy rods made in China, you might as well buy the Gander Mountain brands. They're all made in the same Chinese sweat shop anyway.

One more for the Elitetech....We have the 7'2'' medium light "riggin" rods that work for just about everything. I use them dropshotting bass, throwing slip bobbers, hook-n-sinker rigs in the river, you name it, they work.

That being said, I did like the one Avid I had (until a catfish pulled it into the river). frown