• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Knee replacement -Lab

Heartman

4 yr old Lab blew out her left knee - xrays have confirmed damage - everything ACL/MCL/Meniscus torn - and the vet has recommended total knee replacement with metal joint. Complicated and involved, but I understand it is done with a fair amount of frequency these days.

Any suggestions or experiences with this surgery? Recovery and rehab will take some time - any kind of anecdotal information appreciated. She's a good dog - alternatives are slim and none at this time.

Sorry to hear about the bum knee. Our Lab blew his knee out and the vet suggested surgery as well. We opted not to do the surgery. 1. He was kind of a roamer at times and this slowed him down a bit at first. 2. A dog's knee is set up a little different than ours and the muscles kind of keep the joint together. Over a years time you could hardly notice a difference except when he ran hard after a bear. He lived for 5 years non surgery but got cancer and had to be put down for that. Your situation may be different of course. Hope it goes well for you.

One of our labs had TPLO surgery a few years ago it was expensive but well worth the money she is almost as good now as she was before the injury. She still limps alittle when she runs alot but she is still able to hunt half a day at age 11 and 3 years post surgery. If you do a net search you will find a lot of good information about surgeries and alternatives to surgeries as well.

Heartman my lab underwent TPLO surgery a year ago when she was 2. Don't know if that is what you are facing. Although her recovery was long and included setbacks, she returned to fine form after lots of hard work on both our parts. She had a fabulous hunting season and appears fully healed. (of course, you watch every little move now and always wonder...) Anyway, if you want her to hunt again, there is no other viable option. If she does not hunt, then you can let it heal on its own. She will adapt and be a fine house dog. Good luck. Although they say it is a common major surgery, it's not easy to endure. Just ask if you want know more. Again, best of luck.

I have not know anyone who had to have a total knee replacement for their dog. I know of a few who recieved the total hip replacement. They worked out fine, but as you said... 'expensive'! I guess I would not want to be put in your position. I've been pretty staunch in all my dogs to not lay out huge vet expenses. Some will spend no matter what and at any age.

It comes down to what your family budget can afford, if your willing to spend the money and if the expectations are that the dog is going to be able to perform at the same level for the same amount of time as she would without the injury.

Good Luck!

Ken

$2500 or so is the anticipated cost. Hunt ducks mostly, but she's an active dog who enjoys running - I know all dogs like to run but she really enjoys the breeze! Would like to think she can hunt birds again, but we'll mostly worry about ducks - in and out of the boat, cold weather, and swimming.

That said, it'd be difficult for us to have her as a house dog - have a cabin and are fairly active in a number of outdoor activities. Short of putting the dog down, we really have no choice and must proceed down the road to replacement surgery and look forward to regaining her mobility. It is what it is and there are no real alternatives.

About the recovery - will one of us need to stay home with her for a week or so after the surgery to care for her? We will certainly talk with the vet & surgeon about this, but wonder from those who've traveled this road - wife and I each have some vacation time we could use, and have to believe summer is the right time for the surgery not spring or fall.

Thanks to those who have responded thus far - we'll make it somehow or another - taking care of this issue is part of the pet ownership responsibility and have no trouble with that.

my lab had both knees tplo. It was not as bad as mentioned. They did it on thursday picked him up on friday, he laid around i put ice on it from time to time and meds. Had the second one done about a year later, same thing, have to make sure they don't run or jump climb anything for a couple months. We just came in from playing ball and he runs and jumps like a new dog. His were done 2 yrs ago. It cost me 3400 per leg but i have insurance on both labs it picked up 80%.

With the tplo surgery they remove the ligament and put in a metal plate, pretty much replacing the knee. My dog is a border collie and she blew her acl out not quite two years ago. She is a agility dog and runs obstacle courses. She loves it so much I had to do the surgery.

It was 3000 for the surgery. She is back running at agility and just got her masters jumpers last year. So she has made a great recovery.

The surgery was done in the winter so rehab was hard for us. walking everyday in ice was not easy for her. I ended up taking her to do some underwater treadmill excercises. That helped alot!!

While rehabing your dog its vital you excercise your dog but not overduing it as well.

Re: TPLO recovery. The first week or so is Rest, Ice, Stretching three times daily. Pain pills, too. I would say she can be left alone, but dUring this time we crated her whenever left alone. She also had cone of shame to wear. 10 days or so the staples come out. Still ice and stretch 3 x day. Crating, too. Walks of maybe 5 minutes twice day. It builds from there each week. No stairs. No off leash. Nothing more than level-ground walks the first month. Vet check @ 8 weeks. Recovery builds to longer walks, walking circles, figure 8s, etc. If all goes well, swimming, running, etc can be resumed @ about 11-12 weeks. Then it is all about rebuilding her muscle mass so the other leg doesn't have same problem. (praying and knocking on wood encouraged, too!) Overall, biggest pain was carrying 80-lb lab up/down stairs....dang split level. Biggest gain was seeing her have a banner pheasant season last fall. Good luck!

Lab is in for her surgery tomorrow - mostly know what to expect but admit to being a bit apprehensive about recovery and everything. Will be difficult, but the surgery is pretty much our only option - off we go.

She's home and in surprisingly good shape. Meniscus was intact - ACL & MCL both completely torn. Just over $2300 - more x-rays and a few other things in the next month or so. She's getting around pretty well - can walk and go outside on leash for potty breaks. Pain meds help her a great deal.

Feeling much better about things at this point. Surgeon is optimistic and reminded us that rehab must be slow and steady - she's to be on the leash always, and we need to try and not get her too excited.

Whew, we made it. And so did she - a guy forgets how tough a dog really is sometimes...

If you have the oppurtunity, try some water therapy for your dog. When the vet says its o.k.

It really helped bring the muscle back for my dog.

Plus its much easier and better for the dog.

Check around your area for places that offer underwater treadmills

Little over 8 weeks into recovery and she's doing well. Beginning to add that muscle mass she lost from lack of use - Easy does it is working. Just now starting to get her in the lake again - tough to keep her out earlier but she's holding her own. Daily walks get me out of the house as well - not all bad you know.

Knock on wood things continue to move in the right direction.

Glad to hear all is working out with your lab. My lab that his TPLO done on both knees is bow legged now and does has a small hitch when he is trotting. Left leg seems to bow more outward than right but he is not afraid to run around like nothing happened. He will be 4 tomorrow and my other lab was 3 on June 27. Good luck.