• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

removing shoreline muck and weeds

Diago

Question

10 answers to this question

You need a DNR permit for the Crary Weed roller. Not very often they will issue one so good luck with that. The Lakemaid you probably won't be able to get a permit for because of the water jets. I'm guessing that one is probably illegal in Minnesota.

Alot of times you will find sand under the muck after you stir it up and it dissipates. Muck is caused by dead weeds sinking and decomposing over time.

DNR will generally only approve a permit if you have less than 3 inches of muck or something similar - I cant remember exactly. And no 'protected' weeds (i.e. wild rice).

You need a DNR permit for the Crary Weed roller. Not very often they will issue one so good luck with that. The Lakemaid you probably won't be able to get a permit for because of the water jets. I'm guessing that one is probably illegal in Minnesota.

Just do it in the middle of the night.

We have a weed roller and greatly enjoy the limited amount of habitat destruction that it provides. The kids can swim and a weed-choked dock area is fishable to every boat that drives by. Any time time I see a dock w/ a weed roller you can toss a wieghtless whacky worm and catch bass right by the wall of weeds. That's the silver lining.

Our bottom is pretty rocky and gravely in general, but it is certainly better where the roller runs. I have a friend who lives on a lake w/ a muckier bottom. He swears that the weed roller gets down to a harder bottom eventually. They work great and do need DNR approval first. Good luck.

Our neighbor across the lake who is a contractor and built our house has a roller and it's worked wonders on his weedy bay around his dock so the grandkids can enjoy it and go swimming. I think it has stirred up and pushed away some of the muck. And yes the fishing is better by his dock now! It's certainly not habitat destruction IMHO. If there were weeds around our dock like that I certainly would get a permit and use one too. Gosh forbid you enjoy your lake property. The DNR has rules in place and so long as you do what's legal, more power to you. Because the DNR has them in place to protect the lake and surrounding habitat. I figure they know better than me given they're using science to determine things.