• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Raging judge vs Semi Auto

Howdy... really thinking harder about a hand gun this summer, and I would like to get a semi auto at some point, mostly for fun shooting, 9mm or 40, who knows... But I also want a bigger revolver that I could possibly do a little hunting with, and I like the versatility and the frame of the newer raging judge that is now out in 45 long colt, 410, and 454 casulle... seams like a lot of options for a range of fun and uses...

I would do a lot of research on the Judge before buying one. Do an internet search for "raging judge reviews"

I don't want anyone taking this as gospel without doing further research, but about a month ago some of us were sitting around talking guns and The Judge came up. One of the guys is an FFL/gunsmith. Apparently, the Judge is not very accurate with the 45 Long Colt because of the way it is made to handle the 410 also. (the bullet has to jump the gap) It may be fine for close range defense work but not something you would want to hunt with or even plink with. With birdshot, the rifling causes the shot to spread out making it useless for anything but extreme close range shooting. I think the buckshot does a little better because it comes close to filling up the bore. I stand to be corrected if I am wrong.

From these observations it sounds like a close range self defense gun. I guess at home, I would rather have my 870 in my hands if the need arose. Due to its size, there are probably much better carry options out there. In my opinion it is more of a gimmick than something that is really functional.

Fun shooting? Can't go wrong with a 22 pistol..........Hunting semi auto? I have a 357 that I only carry when I have a management tag left to fill and I am still hunting. Never taken a doe with it yet, but I have had numerous shots on bambi's. My buddy carries a 44 mag right now, kicks like a mule, he can't handle it well, although he thinks he can. He also has a subcompact Glock 10mm and he can shoot that, very well out to 50 yards. He has taken deer with his 10mm still hunting and nothing with his 44. Handgun hunting is tough, especially when you start talking about the big boys.....

I will add, I am mostly interested in using it for close range shots for yotes or raccoons while calling, I carry the call, decoy, and my rifle, and sometimes carrying the second long gun for close range shots gets tiresome, and cumbersome, so, I would like the option of the small scatter blaster that fits in a holster... i can pump 5 slug out of my 12 ga. and knock deer dead... I don't have much desire to chase after them because they are wounded, and If i wanted to get close and personal, i'd sit with the sliver slinger... Just not really my cup of tea at this point in my life... But i love hunting yotes as a good pastime and excersize program in the winter months while work is slowed down a bit... So, Long story short, I am not looking for a deer pistol persay, rather something a bit easier to carry, that would help cover a situation where the critters are on top of you, and you cannot pick them out in a scope.

Well, While out trying a few out for size I stumbled upon a couple nice used 45 autos, and I ended up buying a ruger p345 45 auto... So far happy with it, fun to shoot, like the safety features as it is my first handgun... hopefully serves me well for a while..