• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

SS Prop

Genofish

Looking at upgrading to a SS Prop. 90hp Yamaha 17 Lund Angler

I Currently have a 13 x 17 Alum.

I have had two recomondations for SS props

1. 13 x 19 SS per mechanic that has same motor with a 19 pitch, glass boat

2. 13 x 17 SS per Soderblooms

I was told the 19 SS will pull my rpm's down too much.

Any thoughts on the correct one?

Actualy he said the 17 right away when I told him what motor, and when I brought up th 19 and he said it would reduce the rpm, recomoned the 19

Thinking the 17 is the one. Price is right at $235, Solas Titan SS

My opinion on stainless props is that you really don't get much (if any) benefit out of them until you get 115 hp or above. Your 90 is close to 115 hp so it might be worth it to you. It really comes down to why you're switching to stainless and what you hope to get out of it. But you should realize that you need horsepower to take advantage of the things stainless can do for your boat.

And for ANY prop, you should test it on your boat before you buy it, or have a guaranteed return if it isn't right for your boat. Even if you get the pitch right, the prop diameter, size and shape and angle of the blades, number of blades, etc. will all make a difference in how that prop performs. Your boat hull, and how you have the boat loaded, and what you have in/on the boat in terms of batteries, trolling motors, kicker motors, etc. will all make a difference too.

Good luck, I hope you get it dialed in.

I agree with PP. 115 and up seems like the line but the 90 is as close as it gets. Jay knows his stuff and if he suggests a prop try it. He has gotten my boat running great with a few cups, thins and exhaust holes. He really knows his shiz and his prices are great.

geno. I run a 13 X 17 on my yam. 90. This is on a 17 ft. ranger mod. V hull.( the boat came with a 19. performance sucked) I'm happy with it. Have thought about dropping to a 15, as i could use a little more rpm, BUT! grin I'm a big guy. My current set up will turn 5200 RPM and does well even with three people. I have thought about trading the 19 i have in on a 15, just to see how it would work for me, and my set up.I would think the 17 would be a good prop for your rig.

Geno, please keep me posted with what you decide on and how the performance has changed with going to a SS prop I've got the same boat (except w/ a 90HP Mercury) and have often wondered if it was worth it to upgrade to a SS prop.

SS prop has more benefits than speed. Ding resestence, ability to hold plane at lower speed and slower trolling speed are the reasons I went SS on my 18 foot fishawk with a 90 Honda. Top speed 36 to 37 normal light load just me. My prop 13 inch pitch 3 blade honda prop. Old prop was a 17 Al top speed was similar though I only got Mid 5's for rpm, dropping to a 13 got my rpms to near 6000 for a light load, and performance across the board improved. I also went from 3 mph trolling down to 2.5, doesnt sound like much but it matters to fish sometimes. I wish it would troll at 2 but the motor dies at that low of rpm. Whatever pitch you get make sure your motor can redline or very close to it, at your most typical load, otherwise you are giving up some performance, somewhere.

Geno, its been awhile since I've paid attention to it but if I remember correctly, it runs about 41-43 mph at full throttle (according to the speedometer in the console and who knows how accurate that is). Can't recall what the rpm's are but next time I get it on the water, I will pay attention to it and let you know. Also, I'm not sure what the pitch is of the prop I have on it, but it is the prop that came with the motor (2000 Mercury - 2 stroke).

Whatever pitch you get make sure your motor can redline or very close to it, at your most typical load, otherwise you are giving up some performance, somewhere.

This is an excellent point. I have my own boat set up so that with an unusually light load I will hit my rev limiter. With a normal load I get close to it but never hit. As jjz said, if you're not running those rpms with a light load you're giving up some performance somewhere with a normal load.

I just want to make sure.

Are you guys refering to the rev limiter or the recommended top RPM?

On my boat my recommended RPM range is 5k-6k. The rev limiter is 6,500.

My prop would run 6,400 WOT with two people, gear, and a full tank so I had it recupped in the off season to try to knock off a few 100 rpm.

Are you suggesting running it right up to the rev limiter instead of the top of the recommended range?

Top end of recommended RPM range is ideal, I personally dont like to run my engine at max possiable RPM. I think your choice Kyhl is right. My motor can hit like 6200 before rev limiter, but my prop keeps me at just under 6000 with a normal light load. However 90% of the time I run at 4200 to 4400 rpm which gets me 26 to 28 mph and I probably get almost double the mpg than I would at WOT. But if you are looking for the best performance across the board running it to the rev limit is the way to go, but if having a motor last as long as possiable is your goal sticking to upper recommened rpm is better. However going with too much prop can be just as hard on a motor for different reasons... arghhh!!!

Good points. With my motor, the top of my recommended rpm range is 5750, which I can't quite hit with 2 people in the boat ...... but by myself with a very light load I can hit it occasionally. My onboard computer starts shutting things down at 5850 rpms.

I did many SS prop test when I had a 75HP Yamaha. In the end, I concluded SS are too heavy for a 75HP to spin. I've gained if not 1-2mph but it sure drank more gas because of the weight it had to spin. The weight of the prop made my holeshot sluggish too because took more effort for my motor to spin a heavy prop. Last when some friends drove through a rock pile, it cost a lot more to replace. Being its SS, instead of the prop just chipping off, my whole lower unit was damaged. Had it been just a aluminum, I would had just replaced the prop.

imo, unless you have a 150hp+ its not worth the price and gas to upgrade to an SS.