• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

When should I introduce a lab pup to water

tacklejunkie

I'd wait until the water warms alittle. Take him in shallow water w/ waders on land stand in the water and call his name.always make it fun by the end of summer you won't be able to get him out of the water.

Thanks.

Would late April or May be too early yet?

You should be fine. Just don't force the pup in. If he/she just wants to splash around the shallows the first couple times, let him/her. Make it as much fun as can be. You'll be amazed how fast he/she will start swimming...and then you can't get him/her out!!!

Have fun!!!

Our Chocolate lab came home in early June at 8 weeks a few years ago and I brought her into our little 15' pool in the back yard and she took off right away. Wasn't long and she wanted to go back in again. Every dog is different with new things, so like others said, make it fun and so they feel safe at the young age and all will be good. Dont force them to do anything they dont want to that early.

My male GSP wouldn't go in the water past his knees the first fall when he was a pup, but the next spring he started swimming with out any incentives.

full-17729-19003-32088_101400849912511_1

I personally think North of Duluth the water may be still a bit cold for water intro... if you aren't training for trials or hunting, let it get good and warm and then you can go in with him...

If the dog wants to go in and swim and play on it's own accord, so be it. That's a perfect scenario... If not, Myself? I'd do water intro in a few more weeks. No reason to rush it.

Good Luck!

Ken

My lab pup is 5 months old and loves the water!!! When we go for walks, when we get close to a pond, she looks at me, and in she goes, splashing away, tucking her tail between her legs and running in the shallow water. The key is not forcing the issue, let them run along the edge, pretty soon -oops- they're in over their heads and swimming. Fun to watch that awkward dog paddle!! Still kind of cold, it will be a few weeks before I start throwing dummies into the water, unless its a hot day, then it will be just a few to cool down with. Now is fun time.

She likes the water so much that her newest trick is spashing in her water buckets, front foot up and down until its tipped over. Not bad in the outdoor kennel but a heck of a mess in my shop!! Tried bigger fuller buckets but that didn't slow her down much either. The bucket is now tied to a post.

Puppies are fun!!! They grow too fast!!