• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

500 sportsman overheating

bak2MN

problem. I have a 500 overheating the fan works and there is no water leaking other than bubbling out of the overflow tank cover any suggestions what it could be? Water pump? Or thermostat? Any info would be great. Thanks.

I just had this issue last week, the check engine "HOT" light kept coming on, very frustrating.

I had just replaced the water pump last fall when I noticed the weep hole was leaking. So I was able to rule that out this time....hopeful I should say.

If the hoses are swelling while running and up to temp, then the pump and T-stat are probably good.

I tore the radiator out of mine last week and I was really surprised how "full" my radiator was with dirt and mud from prior trips. I always thought I cleaned it up well with the pressure washer and hoses, but too many spots you just can't get to good enough.

Also check the electric plug in on the left side of the machine for the sensor, if you have the machine key turned on and unplug it, the fan should kick on, if not you could also have a bad sensor.

I would almost put money on the radiator.

Good luck, keep us updated.

Thanks for the tips guys I will pull the radiator first and check that out. The last trip out I put her in the mud good and thought I cleaned it out good. But I will pull it and check it out along with the sensor.

Radiators are almost impossible to clean throughly without taking them out, you'll be surprised how much is still in there. When you put the radiator back in make sure and bleed the system, yes it takes awhile.

We had a 500 that the impeller let loose on the waterpump shaft, everything would be fine then it would overheat because the impeller was turning on the shaft. Finally realized it when you could see the water wasn't circulating.

WOW!! I pulled the radiator out and boy was it full of mud yet. I have not put it back in yet as I am letting it soak till tomarrow night after work and then will rinse and spray it out some more. I am sure that is what my problem is.

I am still wondering on the bleeding out process any one??

Thanks

I don't remember either if it has a bleed screw on the thermostat housing or not. I just fill it up with the atv running it makes a mess but it works, sometimes it helps to raise the front end some.

Got it all back together and just filld as it was running took it for a spin and fixed the problem. I still cant belive how dirty that thing was. Thanks again for everyones help saved me taking it in and looking dumb!