• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

This quest is over.

I've been wanting a photo of an otter for several years. I've been driving close to 100 miles each way to a NWR that is known to have otters. Every time I go, I come home skunked. Today I decided to drive the back roads not far from Marshall, just to see what I could come across. I stopped my car at one spot and walked on this trail alongside a small slough, with a little pool also on the other side of the trail. I heard a splash and at first thought I was seeing a beaver. Then he turned my way. I got so excited that I almost filled my pants. I quickly ran back to my car and grabbed my camera and hightailed it back. I sat in some weeds and sure enough he reappeared on the other side. He was really enjoyable to watch. He knew a stranger was in the area, but he had no idea how strange. After a few clicks of my shutter he'd huff and grunt a little and look around and at times, jump straight up out of the water, trying to get a better view of me. It was a fun ride. Now I need a skunk. smile

6985120243_24b03c16b9_b.jpg

6985120201_ccd9b65744_b.jpg

6985120163_81c78ec928_b.jpg

6838999202_8c614e1682_b.jpg

6838998926_af83e1c3d3_b.jpg

6985120435_3c9fa4a887_b.jpg

6838999126_795fff2f30_b.jpg

Great shots, I liked the framing of the second to the last one. Nice use of the grass!

Reflection on the last shot was cool too.

"now i just need a skunk" Although, I am fearful to say my friend you may have mistitled your thread. Should be called "the quest has just begun".

Very cool creatures, funny how they look so much like seals when in the water.

Had a deer stand near a beaver pond years ago that held a family of otters. Got to watch them pretty close up for most of a week. An awesome experience I'll never forget.