• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Alarm beeping on outboard...

CarpinMNRiver

I have a 97' 25hp Evinrude and I had it out today and it started beeping up by the throttle. Does anyone know why it would be doing that? I unplugged the beeper thing and that helped with the annoying beeping. whistle Does it mean the motor is getting too hot? Any suggestions would be appreciated..

Im thinking that because of the year and hp, its not oil injected, correct? you have to mix the gas and oil?

If so then yes, it must be the overheat horn. Althought its usually a steady horn. I wouldnt run around with it disconnected though. Get it and have it checked out

I know it is sounding for a reason, that is why I made a post about it. It is a continuous beep and it looks like the motor is overheating. The alarm just disconnects so I unhooked it so I didn't have to listen to it while driving back. I guess I was wondering if anyone has ran into the problem and possible fixes. I know there are a lot of smart boat guys here and maybe it was something simple.

my alarm only went off once since i owned it. 115 4 stroke merc. i have a habit of putting tape over my water exit hole, because for some reason there is some insect that likes to lay eggs in there during the summer. one time i forgot to take it off and soon the alarm went off and i remembered the tape for some reason jumped back there took it off and the water started to come out and the alarm stopped. so thats what it was for me. you could have dirt in there maby. good luck.

Could be a bad water pump or the inlet or outlet could be plugged. When was the last time the water pump was replaced? If was 3 years or more that is one thing I would do regardless. You can take a small diameter wire and run it thru the inlet and outlet holes to be clear out blockages.

I change mine every season due to running on the Mn river espically when the water gets low. Too much garbage can get in and raise havoc with the impeller.

They do not cost that much and it's a pretty simple job to change it out.

I normally watch the tell-tale to make sure she is pumping water every so often. I would rather catch the flow slowing than have the alarm go off.

Not sure about your engine exactly but....might take the cover off and see if it has a VRO Oil Pump on the side of the engine. May be bad. Mine was. Take it to the shop. blush

I have to mix the gas so I don't think it has a oil pump. I will update when I get around to messing with the water pump and let you know what happens.