• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rhino Liner instead of boat carpet?

10,000 Casts

My buddy herculined the whole interior and exterior of his 14ft boat. I wouldn't recommend it. It made the boat a lot heavier, and when fishing in bare feet it hurts your feet, the herculiner is pretty sharp at first. It is more durable than paint though.

Of course it will stick to wood! If it sticks to metal, wood will be no problem. Another option would be marine vinyl flooring. I used it in some areas of my boat rebuild. Worked good, easy to work with, only issue is that it has texture that traps some dirt, but cleans up with pressure washer or a stiff bristle brush pretty good. 10,000 if you are rebuilding your boat floor and etc..., Custom Upholstery & Awning Center near BRI can help you out with carpet, hinges, flooring, seat bases or advice. I used them to get a bunch of stuff during my rebuild and I was very happy with the price and service.

We have used it on several different boats, both large and small. The smallest was an 18' skiff used for commercial fishing. It works very well and has held up on the skiff used every day from April til Dec for over 5 years no with no maintenence. There was some mention about it adding weight, it weighs 10.6LBS per gallon. I can't imagine using more than a gallon or two on a boat, we used two quarts and did the entire floor and hull sides up to the gunnels. Maybe they putting coats on to an inch thick or something. We are always wearing boots and footing is very good even in the cold and ice we sprinkle some salt on it, I don't know what barefoot in a boat feels like, someday maybe.

I do some custom work on old HD golf carts and use the liner in the back of the beds. I think it works well for areas you are going to be using to load and carry things but maybe not where you may sit on or bare skin needs to touch. It's just not a comfy surface! frownfull-27051-18276-img_0489.jpg

full-27051-18277-img_0232.jpg

Thanks for the thoughts guys, I think carpet is the way to go for my boat after think about what everyone said, I like the idea of adding weight for better boat control but a softer surface sounds better. I'll bet carpet weighs about the same or more. I do plan on rhino lining the gunnels on the boat since it is 15 yrs old and there are a few chips and scratches and it will make it look nicer and I want to do it myself.

JJZ, I didn't know about that place, I will call them tomorrow. I need my cover repaired and I have been looking around for carpet and most places want about $10-$12 a ft but they have to ship it in.

For you guys that have used it? I've been thinking of putting it on the front of my glass fender on my ranger trailer.It is starting to look nasty with rock chips. Will it stick to fiber glass, and what prep do i need to do before applying it? Thanks! Del

Yes, it will work fine, the skiff we put it on was fibreglass. Scuff surface with 80 grit sandpaper or better yet follow manufacturers guidelines and instructions on product. It will work very well for what you want and contrary to what has been suggested it will not add enough weight to blow your trailer's tires or tear your clothing if you brush against it.

Yes, it will work fine, the skiff we put it on was fibreglass. Scuff surface with 80 grit sandpaper or better yet follow manufacturers guidelines and instructions on product. It will work very well for what you want and contrary to what has been suggested it will not add enough weight to blow your trailer's tires or tear your clothing if you brush against it.
What he said. All the golf carts I did above are fiberglass. It bonds very well! wink

In '06 I bought a new Crestliner Sportsman that came with a Rhino-Lining type of coating on the seats and floor. It has held up well, is fairly slip-resistant, and is comfortable enough to sit on.

I see that Cabelas sells a product that is like what I have on my boat. Search for: Cabela's Tuff Coat Non-Skid Coating

Wouldnt hurt the gunnels a bit. Dont forget carpet glue for bigger areas. Staples work for smaller areas, but glue helps bigger carpet areas lay nice and look better (cuts down on wavy carpet look).

Good Luck