• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hole Shot

FM_Mike

I am wondering what the purpose of a good hole shot is. I have never really understood how it relates to motor.

I seen it mentioned on motors from 25HP to 300HP. Is this something I should be concerned with?

Mike

I think pulling a skier is a big thing, otherwise just the comfort of getting on plane faster. Ever driven an underpowered boat where you're rocking back and forth in your seat for the slim chance it will help you make it that last little bit up onto plane? No fun.

With a tiller it also applies to safety. The better the hole shot the faster the bow comes down allowing the driver better vision.

Nothing sucks more then a under powered boat, no matter if it's being used for fishing, skiing, or whatever.

The tiller reference does make sense to me, I can remember back in the day trying to see over the bow when driving a resort boat with a 5HP Johnson. I could also see that being an issue on a console boat thats under powered.

And yes I can very much remember the times in that boat trying to " Nudge" the boat to get it on plane. Never did work. But putting my brother closer to the bow sure did. grin

Mike

You can usually help your hole shot by decreasing your prop pitch slightly. This will effect your top-end speed, but IMO having a decent hole shot is better to have than that MPH or two of top speed you will lose. Nothing worse than plowing across the lake trying to get the boat on plane. Especially if it's shallow lake, I'd rather get up and out quickly. I have two different props for my boat, one with a slightly smaller pitch for when I plan on having an extra person or two along, the other for when I'm alone.

It's three things for me, and I think they all relate to safety.

Vision, I don't like not being able to see where I'm going. Even if it's for 5 seconds instead of 3. Those two seconds cover ground that I'd rather see when driving.

Depth, I want to get up and out when in shallow water.

Sliding items in the boat. Drives me crazy, not to mention it is unsafe, when things start rolling and sliding to the back of the boat. I want me and my passengers to have hands available to grab the boat not loose items like coolers and tackle boxes that deside to slide down hill when you take off.

I've seen many people argue (not in this thread yet) that you get better gas mileage by getting on plane faster. Supposedly that's because you aren't pushing as much water prior to getting on plane. I've never bought that argument unless your boat takes 60 seconds to reach plane. Otherwise it's like arguing that your truck gets better mileage if you floor it until you hit 60mph on the highway, where you get better mileage.

Getting a skier up is the only real benefit that I see to a fast hole shot.

Better hole shot (usually) also means that you can plane "Slower" without it dropping off plane. This does come into play when driving, and not just tubing. You can also drive in rough weather better as it (likely) will bite better in rough conditions. You will also get better performance with SS props, especially the higher hp you get. Testing props is fun, if you can test enough. You know it 100% when you drive with the right prop and compare to others not so good. If you are going to spend thousands on a motor, and hundreds on a prop, why not get the one that performs the best for you? Be it hole shot, trolling, WOT or handling...

Basically it isn't about people bragging about hole shot or top end speed. It is about getting the best performance out of your motor for your needs, and their is a tradeoff for balance between speed and handling and yes hole shot. Also, if you are a fishing mainly person, who trolls, the best trolling props will also likely be the best hole shot by default. Usually Lower pitch. Simple math.

Good luck!

Better hole shot (usually) also means that you can plane "Slower" without it dropping off plane. This does come into play when driving, and not just tubing.

Unfortunately, this isn't true. The boat coming down off of plane has nothing to do with the pitch of the prop. It is strictly the speed of the boat. Same actually with getting on plane. simply speed. Where the pitch comes in is the best way to get that speed using the amount of torque and rpm available from the engine.

Lightning, have you tried a Hi-5 prop? Maybe it is the same thing as you are saying, as you really can handle the rpms better with proper prop. Same thing in rough seas. Try a Laser (popular prop) and then try a Hi-5. Night and day difference, and pitch does matter. Tried two different pitched Trophy (4 bladed) on same boat, same day, again night and day.

Either way, my point was that the props make all the difference in the world. Find one that works best and you have a boat that is much more fun. Good luck smile

edit - btw, with a Hi-5 (and to lesser extent a Tempest II) when you are going about 3000 rpm or so and then hit throttle, you can actually feel the rear of the boat lift up and slide to the side a bit. Simply the bite of the prop and torque. Same thing when going slower, the blades can pick the boat up, either stern or bow lift simply by type and shape of blades. But I am no expert, just read a lot and did lots of testing props to find our sweet one ( i know the Merc blue prop program well, haha!). Currently 19" Tempest on 150efi, but used Hi-5 21" for years. Tempest 21" was fastest, but too low rpms, and Trophy I was horrible hole shot until you hit 4000 rpms, but then went fast smile

BoxMN, I have a feeling we're on the same page. I haven't tried a Hi5, but have went through many props in years past. I used to barefoot ski and it was a very delicate balance on the props. I needed to get out fast so I wouldn't drown, but also was barefooting at about 40 mph. Certainly took some trial an error.

About the only way to change the plane speed of a boat is to change the weight, weight distribution, or the hull shape. (Trim tabs and wings on the lower unit will also have some effect).

With that said. You're spot on with the prop. It's the one thing you can change with ease that does not effect whats happening in the boat (dont have to make your wife hang over the bow to get on plane faster).

A different pitch prop would also make it so that you're planing at a lower rpm, but the same speed.